Anyone got experience from police stop while carrying edged tools?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wasn't that the point of rap battles and dance offs? So differenes could be settled in a non lethal manner. A bit like West Side Story become life. Some cultures did have non lethal. Some of the Bavarian/Austrian aristo's with the dueling scars come to mind.
Martial arts gave me a channel when I was younger and it's been noted in studies that the more violent a spectator sport; boxing, sumo, rugby and the likes the less noted violence in the spectators. So maybe Sandbender is onto something.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I know of one case here in Scotland where the knife was under 3" long, The guy argued the point (no pun intended) with the judge. Still fined and knife confiscated.

He also had a lump of Moroccan's finest on his possession at the time though.

He wasn't a Kid in a Hoodie, He was a middle aged Man, living rough on a Beach in North West Scotland...Lesson Learned. dont get lippy with the Police or the Judge...The Judge holds the power, he can disregard Laws if he so wishes, it's up to you if you want to spend fortunes and time challenging his decision...The Judge will continue to be a Judge, You'll just be skint.

I try and get into the sticks as quick as possible as i cant be assed trying to explain myself. You never know how your day might turn out in those situations. Also, I never strap my axe outside my Rucksack. The General Public can get a bit edgy sometimes.

what was he charged with? that would make a massive difference, have you got a link to the original case?

It might be different in Scotland but Judges cannot disregard the law, they can interprit the law that's how case law is generated, this is then either withheld or dismissed in the future but the law is the law.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Young men need to blow off steam, providing them with a suitable venue (the common) and time (the hours after dawn) where they might injure or kill someone without fear of censure or prosecution may be the way to go.....

Absolutely agree.

When I was still a young teen in school the reaction to our schoolyard "difficulties" varied a bit from teacher to teacher. Some teachers would just break it up whereas others would send us to the principal (I believe the equivalent of your headmaster) for punishment. Still others, particularly if the were the athletic coaching staff, would take us to the gym and have us don boxing gloves to get it out of our system as you said. In those days there was never any "school violence" more dangerous than exactly those occasional schoolyard fights.

Contrast that with todays' school violence in a time when a simple fistfight results in expulsion and a visit from the police.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
And in the fifties and sixties few schoolboys did not have a penknife. often at school. Have mentioned before the number of pairs of boys playing "stretch" (Americans will know it as one version of mumblety-peg) on the grass during lunch breaks. Not a knife fight, stabbing and only a couple of minor cuts from closing the knives clumsily in the years I played it.

As to settling it. At one school I attended it was said that there was a boxing match between a senior pupil and a gym teacher at the instructions of the headmaster. This followed an altercation the classroom.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My school had an armoury and a range. Never mind knives, I took a rifle to school. Never once did I go berserk :rolleyes:.

As I have always said, criminals and the insane don't obey the law. Only the law abiding abide by laws. So restrictive laws punish the law abiding.

That said, I was once changing a wheel by the road when a couple of traffic cops pulled up. I had unpacked four (cased) rifles and a few hundred rounds of full metal jacket ammunition to get at the spare. One asked if I was going shooting? To which I enquired with a grin what his first clue was?

Despite being obviously very heavily armed in an urban area, they didn't ask for my certificate. Nor did they offer to finish changing my tyre though :(

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have never been without at least one knife on my person since I was a kid (except for when I was either in the bath or an airplane :)) and have never had a problem with the law about it.
Mind you, the only times I have been stopped by the police have been when I was totally innocent of any lawbreaking (twice one late night returning from a canoeing trip with a 16' canoe on the roof of my van - it must have looked "interesting" to bored cops) and as I behaved politely and cooperatively the officers involved had no reason to get too interested in me.
I did chat with one sergant and pointed out that his Leatherman (private tool not issue) was a locking blade and did "it might come in useful" stand up as "good reason" for carrying it... I was toting 2 sub 3" non locking folders and a 5" fixed blade at the time as I was on my way to the woods...

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I'm all for knife control laws due to an incident when i was 21 where some idiot stuck a 7inch divers knife in my gut in an argument over £5, funny thing is the illegality of the knife saved my life, i was stabbed in the stomach and the knife went 5 inches into my body through my spleen and liver, it took over 4 hours to save my life with a laparoscopic operation where the surgeon opened me up from belly button to sternum, speaking with the surgeon the day after he told me the only reason i lived was because the thickness and size of the blade held it in position when it went in and out of my body, if it had been a small thinner blade it would have moved about inside the flesh creating multiple wounds which are much more difficult to suture, to this day the path of the knife through my stomach can be felt from the entry wound across to the laparoscopic scar because of the internal scar tissue, i'm sure if i had a six pack you would be able to see it

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It's very true criminals do not care about knife laws

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
what was he charged with? that would make a massive difference, have you got a link to the original case?

It might be different in Scotland but Judges cannot disregard the law, they can interprit the law that's how case law is generated, this is then either withheld or dismissed in the future but the law is the law.

I'm pretty sure he was charged Possession of both Dangerous weapon and a lump of Morocco's finest...I knew the guy from a previous trip up North

He lived on the beach until it got cold then got a wee job in a fish shop at the Harbour and bought a old Caravan...I met him three years on the trot. I specifically remember him telling me about the Knife arguments and the Judge disregarding his argument, so he must have been charged with possession of the knife or the argument would never have happened in the first place.

As for the Judge abiding by the law...I have a friend doing 7.5 years for calling the Judge a old Peadophile..######..

It was a Assault charge that his lawyer was confident he would get off with as it was a clear cut case of self defence. (Guy turned up at his door with a BB Bat and cracked him on the head with it, He wrestled the Bat from the Guy and returned the favour)... it was also his first time in a court...

The Judge directed the jury to disregard his and everyone else's evidence after the Paedophile outburst.....

Yeah, He found out the hard way that The Judge doesn't need to play by the rules. The Appeal will take longer than your time spent....When you disrespect the Law (especially in a High Court) and trust me on this, The Judge will come down hard on you and they will make your appeal case mysteriously disappear to the bottom of the pile and there's very little you can do about it...

The Law can be just as Corrupt as the Criminal. That's four Years nearly he's been in, He gets out in a few Months and his Appeal has still to be heard. Twice now they have "Misplaced" some files.

Back on Topic...Just be Discrete and polite as you can with the law...Everyone gets out of bed on the wrong side now and then.

Last edited:

Shadow hawk

May 13, 2015
West midlands UK
aAK
This kind of thing really annoys me, there is usually more to the case than simple possession of a said article.

I have not been stopped in many long years but last time I was it was a legimate stop and never mind what was in the back of my landrover they didn't carry out a search. They accepted my excuses and let me go without so much as a caution.

Only the other week there was a heavy police presence in the centre of Coventry, something to do with some right wing group or other threatening Moslem preachers, whatever. I had no idea what was going off and exchanged a bit of banter with the cops. It never occured to me that I had my SAK farmer on my belt and I don't suppose it ever occured to them to go looking for it either because I was not the threat they were concerned with.
There was a heavy police presence in cov? I need to get out more,I live down by far gosford street right off the city centre.

Shadow hawk

May 13, 2015
West midlands UK
Context is important.

Wearing a hoodie or baseball cap and giving it swag as you roll down the street in your hood?

Big gang of you in your colours on the edge of your estate where there has been trouble with a rival gang?

Black?

Any of the above plus a blade will get you dealt with differently to.

Wearing a scout uniform or ACF uniform.

On a rural footpath with a mate or two miles from anywhere.

In any case if you are respectful of the police and not behaving like Ali G then you are likely to be allowed on your way.

Think yourself lucky we live in Britain where our Cops are still positive about youth and don't carry guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm in the Air training Corps(cadet group affiliated to the RAF) so after parades I tend to ask the police at the events,some have even taken my word for it whenI quoted the .gov website
And as far as outfits,imagine John wayne minus the Colt and the Stetson.

Shadow hawk

May 13, 2015
West midlands UK
My school had an armoury and a range. Never mind knives, I took a rifle to school. Never once did I go berserk :rolleyes:.

As I have always said, criminals and the insane don't obey the law. Only the law abiding abide by laws. So restrictive laws punish the law abiding.

That said, I was once changing a wheel by the road when a couple of traffic cops pulled up. I had unpacked four (cased) rifles and a few hundred rounds of full metal jacket ammunition to get at the spare. One asked if I was going shooting? To which I enquired with a grin what his first clue was?

Despite being obviously very heavily armed in an urban area, they didn't ask for my certificate. Nor did they offer to finish changing my tyre though :(

Private range in your school where you brought your own rifles? Awesome,I shoot via air cadets (got regional marksman).22LR and 5.56x45mm semi-auto,if people are taught that they can be used as a weapon and how that would be a bad thing then people are fine,it's the chavy kids with knives going round stabbing people and shooting eachother with airguns because they're too stupid to check the thing's not loaded,let alone not point it at anyone.

Shadow hawk

May 13, 2015
West midlands UK
I have never been without at least one knife on my person since I was a kid (except for when I was either in the bath or an airplane :)) and have never had a problem with the law about it.
Mind you, the only times I have been stopped by the police have been when I was totally innocent of any lawbreaking (twice one late night returning from a canoeing trip with a 16' canoe on the roof of my van - it must have looked "interesting" to bored cops) and as I behaved politely and cooperatively the officers involved had no reason to get too interested in me.
I did chat with one sergant and pointed out that his Leatherman (private tool not issue) was a locking blade and did "it might come in useful" stand up as "good reason" for carrying it... I was toting 2 sub 3" non locking folders and a 5" fixed blade at the time as I was on my way to the woods...
What was the officer's response to your question?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE