Anyone got experience from police stop while carrying edged tools?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shadow hawk

May 13, 2015
West midlands UK
Just curious since acounts given here may give an insight to what went wrong and thus aid others such as myself in not making those same mistakes,I've asked probabky a dozen or so officers around the UK when I've seen them at cadet parades and the like,most have either said 3" blades were legal with ages varying from none-16-18,some tok my word on it when I quoted the .gov site in the matter and explained how I interpreted the infomation, the rest expressed varying degrees of negativity towards the carrying of knives from ignorance of the law up to full blown Hoplophobia (irrational fear of weapons).

Anyone got stories to share?
I'm 17 right now but gonna probably carry a second hand victoronox style knife when I'm 18 since the style is a safe utilitarian bet and they're 10 to the penny at car-boot sales so not a bother if they're confiscated(saves the hastle of getting It back compared to a fancy limited edition knife or something which one isn't likley to part with as easily)

Last edited by a moderator:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
[h=3]EXEMPTIONS:
There is an exemption order to the The Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) (Exemption) Order 1996 which reads as follows:

2. Section 141A(1) of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (sale of knives or certain articles with blade or point to persons under sixteen) shall not apply to —
(a) a folding pocket-knife if the cutting edge of its blade does not exceed 7.62 centimetres (3 inches).
(b) razor blades permanently enclosed in a cartridge or housing where less than 2 millimetres of any blade is exposed beyond the plane which intersects the highest point of the surfaces preceding and following such blades.

This means there are no age restrictions to the sale of folding (non-locking) slipjoint knives with a blade of under 3 inches and the sale of safety razors.

While researching an answer I came on this which should answer the criticism I had on carrying a knife into a shop on my way back from a legitimate use.

Criminal Justice Act 1988 & Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006]
[/h]Carrying a knife in public must be in connection with the activity for which it is needed; leaving it in your car or going into a shop with a knife in your pocket if you are returning from or going to a
place where you farm, fish or shoot etc. would constitute good reason even though you do not have an immediate need to use the knife on the spot.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"Irrational fear of weapons"…..no, it's a justifiable concern about numpties carrying potential weapons under the guise of 'needing it'.
The vast majority of folk in this country would never even consider using a knife on another human being. That leaves a small (proportionately, you understand) group who have little compunction.

As for your youth…well, the statistics are clear. Of all the knife injuries, assaults, murders, etc., where an edged tool is the at hand reason for the injury, it's by a vast percentage commited by and on young men under 25.

Time and place. The guideline is extremely simple…Do you need to carry the knife ? If you don't have a need to do so, then the only acceptable 'just in case' is a sub 3" non locking folder…..and even then, do not carry it in a school, in a pub, a club, at a concert, a football match, in a hospital, because if you are found with one there, then you can really find yourself having to justify it, and there's no justification in those situations.

Otherwise there is every right to carry a fixed blade knife 'if it's needed', so camping's fine, so's bushcraft, farming, gardening, foraging, and the like, just don't do it in schools, pubs, clubs, etc.,

Me ? I use my knives pretty much daily, but I accept that the local area is the knife murder capital of Europe, and I'm not stupid. Showing it off like bling, now that would be stupid, wouldn't it ?
Knives are tools, just use them appropriately.

Toddy

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
And be open and polite to police.

Have read of instances when someone has stopped with a small non-locking SAK, but due to bad attitude have been charged. (Was later dropped by the CPS due to 'lack of evidence' and the SAK returned). But the uncertainty of such situations are best avoided.

PS: And it wasn't because of the blade... the corkscrew was deemed a pointed article... so exemptions went out the window.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
And be open and polite to police.

Have read of instances when someone has stopped with a small non-locking SAK, but due to bad attitude have been charged. (Was later dropped by the CPS due to 'lack of evidence' and the SAK returned). But the uncertainty of such situations are best avoided.

PS: And it wasn't because of the blade... the corkscrew was deemed a pointed article... so exemptions went out the window.
aAK
This kind of thing really annoys me, there is usually more to the case than simple possession of a said article.

I have not been stopped in many long years but last time I was it was a legimate stop and never mind what was in the back of my landrover they didn't carry out a search. They accepted my excuses and let me go without so much as a caution.

Only the other week there was a heavy police presence in the centre of Coventry, something to do with some right wing group or other threatening Moslem preachers, whatever. I had no idea what was going off and exchanged a bit of banter with the cops. It never occured to me that I had my SAK farmer on my belt and I don't suppose it ever occured to them to go looking for it either because I was not the threat they were concerned with.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....As for your youth…well, the statistics are clear. Of all the knife injuries, assaults, murders, etc., where an edged tool is the at hand reason for the injury, it's by a vast percentage commited by and on young men under 25.....

Absolutely true. So the solution is obvious: Complete and utter banishment of any males under the age of 25 from anywhere in public. Stay at home under strict supervision until you reach the age of 26.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I think the Police react to the way some people treat them... if your nice they tend to be same:) if you greet me with attitude you might get the same in return.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Context is important.

Wearing a hoodie or baseball cap and giving it swag as you roll down the street in your hood?

Big gang of you in your colours on the edge of your estate where there has been trouble with a rival gang?

Black?

Any of the above plus a blade will get you dealt with differently to.

Wearing a scout uniform or ACF uniform.

On a rural footpath with a mate or two miles from anywhere.

In any case if you are respectful of the police and not behaving like Ali G then you are likely to be allowed on your way.

Think yourself lucky we live in Britain where our Cops are still positive about youth and don't carry guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I know of one case here in Scotland where the knife was under 3" long, The guy argued the point (no pun intended) with the judge. Still fined and knife confiscated.

He also had a lump of Moroccan's finest on his possession at the time though.

He wasn't a Kid in a Hoodie, He was a middle aged Man, living rough on a Beach in North West Scotland...Lesson Learned. dont get lippy with the Police or the Judge...The Judge holds the power, he can disregard Laws if he so wishes, it's up to you if you want to spend fortunes and time challenging his decision...The Judge will continue to be a Judge, You'll just be skint.

I try and get into the sticks as quick as possible as i cant be assed trying to explain myself. You never know how your day might turn out in those situations. Also, I never strap my axe outside my Rucksack. The General Public can get a bit edgy sometimes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Absolutely true. So the solution is obvious: Complete and utter banishment of any males under the age of 25 from anywhere in public. Stay at home under strict supervision until you reach the age of 26.

:lmao: :lmao:…..funnily enough though, a lot of the incidents around here are caused by young women. This is a really nice bit of the world too, nice area and people, just there's always an eejit somewhere :sigh:

M

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

I've long reckoned that there was an argument for the return of the duel. Rather than have young men facing off against each other on the street, any perceived slight would result in an invite to an early morning meeting upon the common. one man against another with a couple of seconds to act as witnesses and possibly a moon lighting paramedic should the common budget allow.

:)

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I was stopped last summer. I've mentioned this on BB in my quest to find the perfect multi tool. It was summer, I was in polo shirt, with my name & business(gardening)on the back. I had a gerber multi tool, that I'd removed the blades from, this was in a pouch on my belt, next to a sak farmer in an open top sheath.
I had just come out of the bank, when one of 2 officers addressed me by name, & asked if either of them were locking, I said no, & they accepted my answer, they went on their way & me on mine.

Rob

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
:lmao: :lmao:…..funnily enough though, a lot of the incidents around here are caused by young women. This is a really nice bit of the world too, nice area and people, just there's always an eejit somewhere :sigh:

M

Yeah, women are increasingly the problem here too. Sadly you're also right that just being in a "good neighborhood" isn't always enough.

I've long reckoned that there was an argument for the return of the duel. Rather than have young men facing off against each other on the street, any perceived slight would result in an invite to an early morning meeting upon the common. one man against another with a couple of seconds to act as witnesses and possibly a moon lighting paramedic should the common budget allow.

I've thought the same thing (it'll never happen though) You really have to wonder just which is more civilized:
1. Duals with rules concerning conduct, fairness, honor, etc?
-or-
2. Rampant gang battles and street fights?

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Pretty good answers here. Keep it packed away, be polite to police. Don't take it into a school (unless asked to; my kids went to a school where they all had opinels for use in the classroom).

I wouldn't carry a knife on my belt, reckon it is just a bit much. More because it would attract attention and stupid reactions. Like the guy in York who ended up with police descending in force on his house. He was practising martial arts forms with aluminium practise blades in his own garden, the police said he'd done absolutely nothing wrong. Just some idiot neighbour spying from an upstairs window saw him and called the police reporting dangerous looking person flourishing swords about (the police said they would be having words with the idiot neighbour).

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire

You'll never get teenagers up at dawn

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Lol !, so true, but maybe we could make it a virtual reality dual, that way xbox could do the work & they could stay in bed.

Rob

I like the idea that every hooligan has a bed connected to the internet, that could kill them at the push of a button :lmao:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I've thought the same thing (it'll never happen though) You really have to wonder just which is more civilized:
1. Duals with rules concerning conduct, fairness, honor, etc?
-or-
2. Rampant gang battles and street fights?.."

Young men need to blow off steam, providing them with a suitable venue (the common) and time (the hours after dawn) where they might injure or kill someone without fear of censure or prosecution may be the way to go.

You'll never get teenagers up at dawn

Not turning up counts as losing, the potential loss of face and respect would get them out their beds.

In earlier times in Scandinavian countries, failure to turn up for a duel on the part of the one who was challenged was accepted as a win for the challenger however if the challenger failed to turn up he was declared 'outlaw'.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE