Anyone got any good Hayfever remedies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
With the pollen starting to tickle the old nostrils I was wondering if any of you have any good, reliable haay fever remedies that I might try?

Cheers,

Dave

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I've tried most and Zirtek work best for me from the commercially available ones. Triludan used to do the job but were taken off the market cos they caused liver or kidney damage when you drank pineapple juice with them or something bizarre like that. :yikes: I necked loads of them over the years too.:shock:

There is a natural remedy out called New Era H available from boots etc. if you want to try something homeopathic but I don't know if they are any good.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I find that Zirtek puts me to sleep and I prefer Clarityn and a nasal spray (Beconase or the Tesco clone which is far cheaper and you get more). I have to say that I don't use them often though ... maybe once of twice a year.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Thanks Guys.

I'm hoping that spending more time in amongst the trees I can build up some immunity. I think the Tesco clarityn clone will find its way into my pack.

Dave

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
An old natural remedy I've heard of, but never tried, is to take a spoonful of local honey every day. It has to be local to you though which is why I've never tried it as I don't know any beekeepers near me. Apparently it's something to do with having the right mixture of pollen to match where you are.

Don't know if it works, but it might be worth a try...

S

sam

I have a book of herbal remedies that suggest cayenne pepper! i'm not sure how your supposed to apply it,(it's in dutch, and the translation is proving elusive!)

it's supposed to reduce the sensitivity of the sinusses :-?

as soon as i find out what your suppsed to do with it, i'll let you know

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Made a mistake............I've taken that many different brands I thought zirtek was the one I take but its not. Telfast (containing fexofenadine) is the brand name and I get it on prescription. Pretty large tablets compared to other brands but work great!

Mar 2, 2004
lol where do they get these names from..poor nadine ..fex ofe? you didnt get it from the telfast belegraph did you ? lol you can tell i have little to do cant you.

friend of mine told me that understanding hayfever was half the battle and that it was all down to an intollerance to tiny particles,i know its obvious but sometimes when you as-is something it loses its fear factor.thats why doctors rarely get ill even in contagious illness wards.strange but true.

dosent get rid of your hayfever though does it lol..sorry :-D

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Mainstay of treatment is still antihistamines. I used to use and prescribe Loratidine (trade name Clarityn) but recently have tended to use Cetirizine (Zirtek). Boith of these are supposed to be non-sedating, as is Telfast.

Terfenadine was withdrawn a few years ago on safety grounds.

Sedating antihistamines such as chlorpheniramine (Piriton) work just as well but tend to zonk you out (excuse the technical medical terminology).

Steroid nasal sprays (like beclomethasone and mometasone) also work well but need to be used regularly and take several days to kick in.

I still get patients requesting long acting steroid injections. This was in vogue a few years ago but we would generally regard the risks to outweigh the benefits. I do occassionally give a short course of oral steroids to patients with severe hay fever taking exams, etc.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Doc said:
Mainstay of treatment is still antihistamines. I used to use and prescribe Loratidine (trade name Clarityn) but recently have tended to use Cetirizine (Zirtek). Boith of these are supposed to be non-sedating, as is Telfast.
I think the leaflet in Zirtek says it can be sedating in certain people ... for me I'm useless for days if i take it, so was advised not to. It was really effective stuff though!!

So I stick with the beconase or its Tesco clone, which I've taken year-round (for sinus trouble) for about ten years now, so the pollen never gets the chance to get me. :-D But if were to stop ... :yikes:

Hope something works for you Dave!

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I suggest trying the different compounds and finding out which work for you. I've tried several over the years and found some that work for other people don't work for me and VV.

When you get really worn out with it, you may be prepared to accept the sedative side effects - in which case I find that piriton is still the most potent.

Another oldie that works but has a soporific side effect is actifed syrup - yellow (normal) or red (spiked with codeine and somewhat more effective). I used these regularly for over ten summers while I was growing up.

All the best

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Thanks for all of the above. I've been "in harms way" all weekend without so much as a sniffle, so maybe exposure and determination help. I've tried the honey thing last year and do believe it works, mind you I love honey anyway. On that note perhaps single malt would work too? Here's hoping!

Dave - without an itch nose so far!! :-D

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Hmm, don't tempt fate there Dave, tree pollen doesn't bother me, but once the grass pollen starts in amonth or so's time...... Beconase is what I need, Although a visit to the coast with a nice sea breeze helps a lot too

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
Problem with the honey method is it doesn't allow you to build up resistance to grass pollen, which is a bugger around August/Sept time.

I've always used piriton because I'm a cheapskate and you get three times as many for the less than the non-drowsy ones. You can build up resistance to the sleep-inducing effects. However, I will remain faithful to it since an incident involving a friend: We were walking in the Lakes and he unwittingly ate a shop-prepared sandwich containing a blue cheese. His allergic reaction almost killed him and left him totally incapacitated (blew up like the Michelin Man). Two hours after popping the piriton (on medical advice) he was able to continue and get off the mountain. I will always carry piriton in my first aid kit, as it's not just a cure for hayfever.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I will always carry piriton in my first aid kit, as it's not just a cure for hayfever.
Yes... I've also used it to treat a friend who suffered a nasty peanut reaction while we where in Jaisalmir (don't get ill in jaisalmir as there are no hospitals and good doctors are non existant). I've also used the sedative effect to get a good nights sleep...... sleeping on a stone house roof in an abandoned village full of stray dogs that barked 24 hours a day!!!!!

:)
Ed

jakunen

Native
Could have done with reading this thread last week!
Went down to the New Forest with Womble for the weekend. When we struck camp yesterday my tent had a lovely golden sheen on it.
I've not suffered for about 20-25 damn years!
Now I've got ALL the symptoms... :cry:

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I use Haymine now. All the others stop working or sent me to sleep. One a day and they are not as expensive as some of the others.

The honey thing that Kath mentioned is supposed to work too......so I've been necking some local stuff as well.

One year I convinced myself that I could "immune" myself by not taking anything at all..............packed up after a week as the tissues for my nose were costing more than the tablets.

:-D

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
i go along with kath and EdS, the locally produced honey is a good method. the place to try and buy it is a local organic greengrocers or a farm shop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE