Anyone got a Lapp Puukko?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I was intending to buy the carbon steel Lapp Puukko found on bearclaw bushcraft and he hasn't got any anymore :banghead: , so I as wonderin if anyone has the stainless steel version and whether it is any good.

And if anyone else knows of any reeeeallly good knives with a 4-5inch blade in the £40-£60 range then please please please let me know.

Thanks,

Jake.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have got the stainless Lapp Pukko and I am very pleased with it. I bought it after reading a review about it on this site, will try to find it for you, they reckoned it was better than the Ray Mears woodlore knife. It is very sharp straight out the box and also holds a good edge. Its very easy to sharpen and fits in the hand well. It did not make good sparks with a fire steel untill I filed down the back, it now showers sparks a goodun. The leather sheaf is nice too..............Jon

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Fantastic! Thanks all of you :You_Rock_

The tregor looks pretty damned good, and the kellam was more expensive!

Thanks again,

Jake.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I got the Kellam and you can't go wrong.
It is one of about 3 knives that are "keepers."
Go for the Kellam knives they are things you will not regret buying.

I have a carbon steel version. good blade, but not so keen on the handle. it is a bit small, and the underside is not a good shape for my slightly arthritic fingers. I find that when cutting a thicker piece of wood, it will dig into my fingers quite a lot. Personally, I prefer the knife I made myself with a Brusletto laminated blade and curly birch handle, which suits my own hand better.

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
Ordered mine from kellam last week after getting my hands on one at the recent Northern meet, they look very good and the reviews i have read are excellent...just waiting for the postman now :)

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
They're good knives, but be aware - I bought the carbon steel version from Tregor and the spine of the knife did NOT produce sparks at all as it had not been hardened. My solution is to carry a small piece of hack-saw blade around with my firesteel (at least, until my BFK turns up!!)...

I find the handle is a little small, and I wouldn't call myself large (ok, 6'2'' isn't THAT big!! I'm skinny!) but it's great at all round tasks, and almost indestructable, reading the reviews I've seen.

The Stainless steel version is exactly the same, and holds an edge equally as well, but just doesn't rust as easily.

Hope this helps :)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
PhilParry said:
They're good knives, but be aware - I bought the carbon steel version from Tregor and the spine of the knife did NOT produce sparks at all as it had not been hardened. My solution is to carry a small piece of hack-saw blade around with my firesteel (at least, until my BFK turns up!!)...

I find the handle is a little small, and I wouldn't call myself large (ok, 6'2'' isn't THAT big!! I'm skinny!) but it's great at all round tasks, and almost indestructable, reading the reviews I've seen.

The Stainless steel version is exactly the same, and holds an edge equally as well, but just doesn't rust as easily.

Hope this helps :)

I got little sparks from my puukko and found out it was because the back edge was almost rounded and not a sharp right angle as it should be, so I got a sharpening stone and ran the back edge over it until I had a sharp 90 degrees on both sides of the knife, and now it fires sparks a goodun..........Jon

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
Well my Lapp Puukko arrived on Saturday morning and took only 5 days to arrive from the States. The total price including delivery....£30.00 a bargain, i have seen them for £48.00 on certain UK websites, whats more there was no import duty or tax to pay. All in all, an excellent service from Kellam (no Affiliation).

As it's a Christmas present i now have to wait a month before i can use it proper :( , though first impressions are, a good quality knife, feels nice in the hand and very sharp (hairs off the hand sharp) :D

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
I have had a Kellam Lapp Pukko (stainless) for two years now. Its a quality knife and at a reasonable price. I resharpened mine taking off the secondary bevel and found it gives a cleaner cut and holds its edge like a good un.

Not too good at making sparks but a friend has the carbon version and it works well, although it corrodes quickly and needs a bit more looking after.

Hope this doesnt confuse matters further :eek:

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
I have both a carbon and stainless Isaaki (?spelling) Lapp Puuko's that I purchased from woodlandorganics. I believe the stainless ones are currently for sale in the Attleborough catalogue for about £20.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE