Anyone got a GoPro?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marooned

Settler
Jul 25, 2010
Somerset
I've been looking at the GoPro range of action/sport cameras. I quite like the idea of filming on my bike rides and love the idea of using it under water. Any one have one or got any reviews of them? They look a bit bulky. Or does anyone know of any other brands suitable to mount on bike handlebars or on a chest harness for outdoor activities? Ideally waterproof. Thanks.

http://gopro.com/

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I got one as a gift. I quite like it for canoe trips because it's waterproof and shock proof and you can wear it on your head.
It's a fixed fisheye wide angle lens; because of the waterproof case it has limited functions and settings and has no
viewfinder or playback, so it's rather like a film camera in that you only see how the pics turn out when you get home and
plug into the computer. I would recommend it, but not as your one and only camera.

Jack

frontenacjune102011080.jpg

algjuly2011086.jpg

algjuly2011109.jpg

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
One of my buddies had one on his helmet for Enduro Africa. 2000kms offroad and he got some great footage and it was light and robust. Second guy from left mounted on top of his helmet.

ifz9n7.jpg

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have one I plan to use it to shoot at work and for training. Light as hell and quality video. I got on to them from the BBC, we were shooting some stuff with them in the water and they had about three of them mounted variously on people, boats and equipment. I found the Motorsport version good for what I wanted but have bought a tripod mount and am considering buying a head strap.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I've got one, had it about 2 years now, excellent bit of kit !! cracking footage....

[video=youtube_share;ypYazhiMnLU]http://youtu.be/ypYazhiMnLU?hd=1[/video]

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
I just got one recently (Hero2) and it's awesome.

You can buy LCD, WiFi remote, etc 'backpacks'. This can wind up expensive but opens up some extremely cool possibilities.

They have been expensive over in the UK but... Amazon have just lobbed £50 off them and there's always people on eBay selling around the £250 mark (auctions tend to go for nearer £200 but bargains are possible). Just be careful you get the model you actually want - all the Hero's look the same to the untrained eye.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I assume the that these are primarily good for Vision and fasty-fasty action , but what the sound like? Is it any good for recording a person speaking? ie is it a complete replacment for other digi-camcorders ??

I appreciate you can't have everything But thought I'd ask?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Yep i've got the first version

[video=youtube;vpPvA43P4lw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpPvA43P4lw&list=UUZz7PNf9Sc4lF36y3EvpVDw&index=49&feature=plcp[/video]

And the Hero2 (have dig some vids out of your interested?)

Great little cameras if toughness is a higher priority than film/sound quality.

The newer HD ones are a million times better than the first generation (as shown in my vid clip) but they're still not as good quality wise as most half decent compact cameras in vid mode.

They really are tough though, mine have been on everything from RC planes/copter/cars to motorbikes, MTB's cars etc and i use them every summer when free diving.

Been trying to slap together a rig for the dog so she can carry the camera on walks, but have not been able to make anything that doesn't slip round and end up with vids of her belly :lmao:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This vid shows the new one off well ...

[video=youtube;GUEZCxBcM78]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUEZCxBcM78[/video]

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Good vid rich . I bought a GoPro and bolted it on the back of our rib , so far i have only had the boat out once with the camera fitted but i got some nice film of the forth bridges with it .

Craig...........

Blencathra

Dec 12, 2005
North Yorkshire, UK
Just taken delivery of the Hero2 MotorSport package.

Intend to use on canoe, bike and anything else. Just driven into to work this morning on default settings, will change to different format for journey home.

I want to decide on optimum settings to mount on a motorbike for an adventure in May. Prefer it on the bike as dont really want to stick it to my helmet, although the helmet mount gives best images.

Talking about adventure bikes, anyone seen details for that adventure show later in year, looks interesting, any one going ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE