Anyone got a Gene Ingram Pocket ShortCut?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Does anyone out there own a Gene Ingram Pocket Shortcut? I'm interested in getting one, and as there is a 4 month odd waiting list it gives me a chance to save up...

But... I'm having my normal problem of not being able to picture the size of the knife. I have the measurements but for some reason can't seem to picture it in the hand, so does anyone have a picture of the Pocket Shortcut in hand? I'd be grateful. It seems titchy but would be a useful back up to my #30

I've also spotted different looking versions of Gene's knifes here and there that I can't find on his website, does anyone know of similar sized knives that he would/has produce(d)?

Thanks guys

Hellz

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
Hi Hellz,

| have a Gene Ingram Shortcut. Not the pocket Shortcut which is slightly shorter. I find the Shortcut a real user, just the right size to slip in your pocket mind you or you have the option of wearing the sheath on your belt. It's also just big enough to be useful if you know what I mean, not to titchy that you can't get a decent grip on it. I carry this whenever I'm out in the wilds as a backup to either my Woodlore or Gene Ingram No.6 drop point.

Gene has a selection of his knives on his website at the moment but there are other models not pictured. A couple that I know of are his Great Plains Skinner and the Lacer which was a collaboration with our very own Schwert on this site and British Blades.

Gene will also do variations of his standard designs for you if you ask, after all he is a custom maker. Drop him an email and ask him. He will also do some of his blades with different steels 01 tool steel etc it doesn't have to be D2 or S30V and there are also way more handle material choices than listed on the site depending on what he has in at the time of course.

I'm afraid I don't have a picture of my shortcut in the hand and unfortunately I don't have a digital camera either but as soon as I can I'll get my son to take one for you and I'll post it.

Cheers,

Tony

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I should have one on the way from a guy in the US but it is taking ages and we are increasingly worried that it's gone walkies in the post. When it gets here I will get some pics up for you.

Bill

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Bill, don't worry. It took about 3 weeks for my highland to arrive cos the post office was so slow...unless it's been longer?

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
bill im due a book (nessmuk) from the states about two and a half weeks now.. i send the seller a very "to the point" email about the e-bay feed back he would get if it wasn't sorted so he went to his post office and asked.. they told him that the christmas mail is already hitting them and things are slow.. so dont worrie enless it have been over a 28 days.. (i know its still a pain!)

sorry to go :offtopic: :lol:

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
tenbears10 said:
I should have one on the way from a guy in the US but it is taking ages and we are increasingly worried that it's gone walkies in the post. When it gets here I will get some pics up for you.
Hope it turns up for you real soon. When it arrives I'd appreciate a piccy if you get the chance.

If I can ask, what made you go for the pocket shortcut?

Cheers

Hellz

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I've just had another check on gene's site and I'm getting a shortcut (although not direct from gene). The pocket shortcut is much smaller. However I did have an slk which is very similar dimensions and I liked it a lot. I sold it recently because I just found I wasn't using it. The handle is quite small (that's the idea) but it means I found there isn't much to get hold of. The finger groves on the pocket shortcut might help this I think.

Schewert carries his slk daily so he may be able to give you an idea of what it gets used for.

I thought the same as you when I got my first one, wow I have to get another, but think what it will get used for. Unlike the americans we can't carry an even small fixed blade with us every day so what will a small blade like this be for?

Bill

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I do not have a ShortCut but my Pocket wharncliffe, Pocket fixed, and SLK all sort of fit into this category. My SLK allows a good 2 finger grip and it pretty handy in the neck sheath.

I have been carrying my #4 wharncliffe daily recently rather than the SLK however.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Sorry for the misinformation schwert. How big is the warncliff? All Gene's knives are great but I just wonder what we would use a small fixed blade for in the UK with the restrictions on carrying a fixed blade and all.

Bill

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
My little pocket wharncliffe is 120mm long overall with a 52mm blade.

It is very handy but again I have no restrictions on its daily carry. I use it like I would a slipjoint....packages, letters, cord, leather, tape etc. I am not sure if I would carry this in the field as much as I do my SLK in its neck pouch. I ask Gene to make this wharncliffe primarily as a daily use cutter around home and work.

Here it is with Gene's #5 droppoint and a GB Mini, both in SeaCow and D2.
NGWhr5.jpg

Gene has a SLK and Pocket Shortcut available right now on his site under Available knives. Nice.

http://geneingramknives.blademakers.com/

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Here is the Pocket ShortCut Available today at Gene's site....I am tempted

IngramShortCut.jpg

This is about the same overall length as my wharncliffe....pretty much just turn the blade upside down and sharpen the spine and you have my wharncliffe....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE