Anyone flown with a trangia?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
I'm contemplating taking my Swedish Army Trangia on holiday with us to the States this September, but I'm not sure if it'll be acceptable to transport it in hold baggage. From what I've read, it *should* be ok if unfueled, however I know it can be something of a lottery.

Anyone any idea whether it's worth even trying?

best
Matt

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
MattW said:
I'm contemplating taking my Swedish Army Trangia on holiday with us to the States this September, but I'm not sure if it'll be acceptable to transport it in hold baggage. From what I've read, it *should* be ok if unfueled, however I know it can be something of a lottery.

Anyone any idea whether it's worth even trying?

best
Matt

Don't know if it's any help, but I know about people who brought empty fuel bottles on board. They were cleaned very thoroughly, until there wasn't a smell of fuel on / in it (vapourised fuel can be dangerous to in the eyes of security). Some drops of menthol oil from a health shop seem to the job too ...

But if in any doubt, leave it at home and buy a burner in the States if you have to.
It's not worth the risk of getting it confiscated and / or getting you fined - it'll only spoil your holiday.

Hopes this helps and have a save journey ;)

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
It will be OK as long as you remove ALL traces of Fuel Vapour.

If it smells even faintly of Meths then you might have it stolen by the Airline.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
Thanks for the replies guys.
I'm thinking that it may not be worth the risk - I guess I'll have to buy something out there (or take a billy and make a coke can stove!).

best
Matt

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Never had any problems before. Just make sure the burner is empty and let it dry out properly before you go.

If you are really not sure I'd make a new pepsi/soda/alcohol stove to take or make one when you get there.

Have a good trip.

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Check out UKClimbing or outdoorsmagic for people's experiences. Seems many airlines (and the budget ones seem to be the worst) get the wrong end of the stick with the aviation guidelines (aimed at the liquid fuel stoves with separate fuel bottles) and often confiscate any type of stove.

Definitely read of a trangia being confiscated and even gas burners aren't safe from their thieving paws.

You could always buy a new trangia burner to take and keep your fingers crossed that it makes the return journey too.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
beamdune said:
Check out UKClimbing or outdoorsmagic for people's experiences. Seems many airlines (and the budget ones seem to be the worst) get the wrong end of the stick with the aviation guidelines (aimed at the liquid fuel stoves with separate fuel bottles) and often confiscate any type of stove.

Definitely read of a trangia being confiscated and even gas burners aren't safe from their thieving paws.

You could always buy a new trangia burner to take and keep your fingers crossed that it makes the return journey too.

Yeah - this is what I'm thinking....
Although it's fine in theory, it'd be an unmitigated PITA to get stopped, have chunks of our kit confiscated (and possibly get fined in the States - especially as we have an internal flight too). I think I might take a couple of billys and either get a cheap burner of some type out there (that I'm not too bothered about getting taken off me on the way home), or refine a soda can design that I can take or make out there.

Matt

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
...you can always make a DIY PEPSI can stove on sight. The halcon stove design is the most easiest to do and will probably take less time than argueing with airport staff.

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
Hi,

I took my Swedish mess kit to Sweden earlier this month with no problems at all, the US might be a different thing though. All I did was to burn it until it was dry and put it in my checked luggage. I bought fuel out there and burnt the burner dry for my return, again no problem.

If you know who you are flying with can you get any information on what's allowed and what isn't?

Hope that helps.

Simon.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
Slimey said:
Hi,

I took my Swedish mess kit to Sweden earlier this month with no problems at all, the US might be a different thing though. All I did was to burn it until it was dry and put it in my checked luggage. I bought fuel out there and burnt the burner dry for my return, again no problem.

If you know who you are flying with can you get any information on what's allowed and what isn't?

Hope that helps.

Simon.

Thanks for the reply Simon.
Yep - I know where I'm flying and I've read the rules, which say that there shouldn't be anything wrong with packing an empty Trangia in hold baggage.

However, in the current climate, the rules tend to get interpreted differently and I've read several reports of people having their cookers / Trangia burners confiscated. In the end, I guess it's not worth the risk - the Trangia burner could be replaced, but I could do without the hassle of getting called back to checkin etc!

Matt

Air out your burner and fuel bottle plenty before you leave and you should have no problems. I've flown three or four times with a Trangia Mini or Swedish Army kit and haven't had any problems.

You can get your denatured alcohol (meths) at most home improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) once you arrive at your final destination.

B

K

kanefer

if its any help I recently went to new zealand and the trangia was no problem - I left it out all night in the sunshine to make sure the last of the meths whiff had disappeared.

Went via KL so don't know what the yank reaction would have been. But Malaysia air didn't care.

The Kiwi customs guys are a bit of a trial if you have camping equipment on you though - especially tough after 24 hours on a plane

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Trangia's are fine to take, as others have said, make sure you remove ALL traces of fuel. If you take something like an MSR :eek: or a Nova :cool: just take the burner, hose and pump then buy a fuel bottle when you arrive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE