anyone ever make an ulu knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've had a couple to use but never made one I'm afraid. I rather like them and once you get the hang of using them they are surprisingly pleasant to use.....and not just for scrapping flesh of skins. Quite a few chefs use them too I believe....great for chopping herbs and other stuff really finely.

I've even got a little pocket folder Ulu which is just lovely :)

Sorry I can't help with the making it but be interested to see what you manage to create :)

Be interested if anybody knows a bit more of the history of them too...I know they are used by the Inuit people and Ulu translates as "woman's knife" but I'm interested where they came from.....they look to me a bit like an axe or hawk head from a snapped handled item that's been used as is and sort of developed from there. But that's pure guess work on my part for looking at them.
I sort of backed myself up on this as I found that after using my Ulu for more wood carving it improved my axe/hatchet carving technique.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Last edited:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
pocket folder Ulu?
got a link.to that?

not made one but I have a cheapo ulu and its a great tool

Nope...no recollection of where it came from or what it cost....I just have it! Lol I can take a photo if you'd like to see it but I have no idea how to post the photo....I don't use photo bucket or anything like that. Happy to text/email the photo to anybody who wants to see or is willing to post :)

Sorry....not much help am I? Lol :)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Just nosing round google I found these: http://www.heinnie.com/blade-tech-ulu but they are nothing like the little one I have. Mine is just an Ulu and not a fixed blade combo. :)

Just dug mine out...it's electro ingraved with "Alaska" and has a map of the outline of the state below it so seeing as I've never been to Alaska somebody must have got it for me....damned if I can remember who though! Lol

Last edited:
hey, just wondering if anyone here botched together something which resembles an ulu knife

Yep

10" Cutting edge

dululrgbladehand600.jpg

dulufamily437.jpg

these are 52100 bearing steel carbon Iand work very well in the kitchen or leather Shop etc

Really want ot make some in a high grade stainless ie Elmax when i can justify a Sheet in thin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE