anyone dyed a swanni ranger shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Has anyone manage to change the colour of a Swanni?

did it effect it's original properties....warmth or water resistance?

Cheers,

P

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
No, but given the material in question it should prove a little more successful than attempting this on a mixed or man-made fibre garment.

I'm not an expert but my experience of using "Dylon" is you seldom achieve the shade you want and forget transforming a dark colour to a lighter one. Probably best to wash garment separately thereafter too.

Oh, just had one last thought although I may be wrong. Is not Swanni wool treated/impregnated with some kind of water-repelling agent? If so you would need to get this out first which will entail a very warm wash leading to shrinkage??

What colour had you in mind?

Cheers

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Oh, just had one last thought although I may be wrong. Is not Swanni wool treated/impregnated with some kind of water-repelling agent? If so you would need to get this out first which will entail a very warm wash leading to shrinkage??

That was the driver for the question. The Swanni arrived today and I 've just tried it on and it is a bit big (XL) so I could afford a bit of shrinkage

The original colours are denim, black and white. My ideal would be earthy browns and green

hmmm risk for me is blue and green =

also the water repellent integrity of the shirt would be compromised so I need advice on replacing the 'agent' it might be simple nikwax wash in

what you reckon?

P

Well I haven't dyed one, but I have very successfully reproofed one with natural lanolin following the instructions kindly posted on here by another member (just do a search on "lanolin")
I actually think woollen items like this benefit from a tiny bit of shrinkage, and become a little felted (obviously not quite like Dachstein!). My Swanni is now slightly more densely woven, and a little fluffier, and so a little warmer. Sheds water really well now, but smells like a cross between a love-struck Lama, and last years left over sheep dip or something. But who cares?
Obviously don't try anything on a Swanndri Extreme.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
That was the driver for the question. The Swanni arrived today and I 've just tried it on and it is a bit big (XL) so I could afford a bit of shrinkage

The original colours are denim, black and white. My ideal would be earthy browns and green

hmmm risk for me is blue and green =

also the water repellent integrity of the shirt would be compromised so I need advice on replacing the 'agent' it might be simple nikwax wash in

what you reckon?

P

I'll assume there is a good reason why you can't simply send it back for something more subdued but have to say I don't think this is going to work.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE