Anyone attending Eurojam?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MalIrl

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
West of Ireland
Anyone out there a scout leader attending Eurojam in Chelmsford next week? We'll be travelling over from Ireland with about 20 scouts. Not strictly bushcraft, but as I'm unlikely to get to attend any UK bushmoots, might be an opportunity to get together...

Slan,
Mal

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
We found the same thing, one of our explorers is going on the service team and district is helping to pay.
We were told to do fund raising to send a group but how can you explain to people you need so much money to go to a uk camp for a week?
I know the thinking behind the cost but I think some people aren't in the real world!

MalIrl

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
West of Ireland
A pity you found the cost prohibitive. I've been looking at our camp Troop list, and they're from every corner of the globe. The program looks very good as well. Still, it does cost a lot, we've been fundraising aggressively since last September.

Mal

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Chelmsford as in Chelmsford, Essex? What exactly is it Mal is it only open to scouts?

MalIrl

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
West of Ireland
Hi Scott,
Yes it's in Chelmsford Essex, and it's an International Scout Jamboree (so only open to scouts!) There's about 15,000 scouts attending from all over the world, though most will be from the UK.
I was just wondering whether any other forum members, some of whom are obviously scouts/leaders would be attending.

Slan,
mal

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Enjoy it mate. I attended the World jambree in Korea in 1991 (I was 16) it was awsome. I have also been to a few smaller ones here in Ireland and on the continent and they have all been great fun.

Say hello to Orla McCarthy for me if you meet her.

James

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I'm not in Scouting but I live in Chelmsford - If you feel like having a get together I'll pop along. Be good to put faces to names! Can certainly point you in the direction of some good pubs.

I've got a valid CRB from Essex Scouts too, so if you need a hand for anything during the meet I might be able to help out?

Cheers,
Neil

MalIrl

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
West of Ireland
Nice one, Neil. I'll PM you my contact details. I'll also check how they are about visitors, in case you're interested in popping in for a look.

Slan,
Mal

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Mal didn't mean my last post to sound the way it did sorry.

I think it was in the region of £700 to attend as a participant then on top we would have had transport and food to pay for, my comment about real world was aimed at the organisers rather than the participants.

I think it will be an outstanding camp and would have loved to take a group, but I think fundraising in the region of £8000 to send ten explorers to Essex for a week would have stretched our credibility for future fundraising!

Hope you have a great time as I had when I attended a camp in Cork a few years back(for a lot less money!)

Just checked the prices and I was wrong! It is £461 to attend as a participant I think I just doubled the staff fee when I looked it up :eek: But even £5000 for ten to go to Essex would be streching fundraising.

MalIrl

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
West of Ireland
No worries Goose,
We were planning an International trip this year anyway, so Eurojam was a no brainer. Every scout usually gets just one shot at a proper Jamboree during their scouting years, so this one was worth pushing the boat out for. As you've pointed out, it's a lot of fundraising, and you can only do that once every few years. We are the biggest single gorup attending from Ireland: only about three other groups are coming from here. Clearly it's not a stretch that everyone can justify.

Slan,
Mal

P.S, James D, I will mention you to Orla when I see her.

Scoops

May 17, 2005
essex
MalIrl said:
Hi Scott,
Yes it's in Chelmsford Essex, and it's an International Scout Jamboree (so only open to scouts!) There's about 15,000 scouts attending from all over the world, though most will be from the UK.
I was just wondering whether any other forum members, some of whom are obviously scouts/leaders would be attending.

Slan,
mal
i think it only about 8000 going to eurojam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE