Anybody wear dungarees?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I,ve been working outdoors and have been very uncomfortable around the waistband area with sweat and also my belt ,I have tried every kind of trousers but just cant get it right !I was reading a another thread where i believe it was Santaman 2000 saying how good jeans were and i have to agree my old denims were better for doing a hard days work in ,So i ,m thinking on trying good old Waltons style denim dungarees to end the waist problem.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Yip Gill i used to wear them, they are great for working even if your wearing a nail bag because they dont get dragged of you waist
You dont see them much now though if you find a supplier for them post it up will you

Cheers

Jason

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Or i could just go all oot and wear my woolrich check coat on top wae my Akubra hat lol

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for posting that Red. You answered one of my questions; I was going to ask if what he was referring to as "dungarees" was the same thing we call overalls? (or more properly "bib overalls>) Apparently it IS. The site you posted had a picture of "coveralls" and are used by mechanics/industrial workers rather than farmers www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-bib-overalls.jsp

Dungaree usually refers to blue jeans now though I understand it was originally an Indian (as in the sub-continent) word for the sailcloth material the originals were made from.

To the OP: My Dad wore the ones such as British Red suggested as work cloting when I was young (he was a heavy equipment operator) but would change into trousers and shirt after work. When I was in my early teens he had a kidney removed and began to wear them full time for a similar reason as you describe.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for posting that Red. The site you posted had a picture of "coveralls" and are used by mechanics/industrial workers rather than farmers www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-bib-overalls.jsp

Yep coveralls (or boiler suits) are not what the OP asked for - they do seem to be what English farmers generally wear As in most things, I suspect because they are cheap and functional (and avoid that waist problem). Dead easy to throw the whole shebang in a washing machine too!

A lot of the guys I know wear "John Deere" or some other brand ones. They seem to be a promotional item from farm equipment sellers.

The one that makes me laugh is my neighbour Tim - he drives the big crawler JD (tractors with tank tracks) and runs ag gangs, but also has a little (John Deere) ride on lawn mower for his paddock. After a days work he often mows his grass before changing. I laughed myself silly at him the first time I saw it - this big muscled gang master perched on this tiny little John Deere tractor - but wearing the matching coveralls. He looked like someone in racing leathers riding a pushbike :)

Then I remembered who I was laughing at!

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
My wife has just spent the last few months in them (maternity) and says they are the most comfortable thing she has worn in a long time. I had some in the 80s and loved them but so hard to find these days.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Dusktildawn.jpg
[/IMG]

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE