anybody used this firesteel tube?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have the original Armageddon fire steel from firesteel.com.
It really does work well, mind you it is a heavy blighter, and well overpriced when ordering from the states.

Last edited:

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
I did look at them but don't think I can justify the costs so I was looking for a similar alternative over here or an outlet for them over here. I don't suppose you know of anywhere do you?

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I got mine shipped over, it does give off very good sparks but there must be a better local alternative for you somewhere.

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
Well if nobody has tried the one in the link my only option may be an import from them. I would rather not risk buying a cheaper version because in my experience it is always going to be worth waiting and spending more on it...

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi crushthesystem long time no see how are you did you go to ashford this year regards dave

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
Hi Dave, it has been a long time no speak. I don't have the money for the mayday this year but I think I have a few friends who want to learn the bowdrill and flint and steel so I am running a bit of a firecraft tutorial at the weekend I think. Are you doing anything good this year? How have you been? Eminen, the rod you posted looked a lot like the one in my link. I may have to just try it I think... is the rod about the same size as the swedish firesteel?

Cheers for the replies,

Steve

eminen

Forager
Dec 28, 2010
Glasgow,Scotland
Eminen, the rod you posted looked a lot like the one in my link. I may have to just try it I think... is the rod about the same size as the swedish firesteel?

Cheers for the replies,

Steve
they look identical to me except the difference in price,sorry not tried Swedish firesteels as i prefer the ones from firesteel.com

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
With no offence meant how can you prefer something if you haven't tried the alternative? I appreciate you giving me your opinions very much, this forum really is invaluable to me.

Steve

eminen

Forager
Dec 28, 2010
Glasgow,Scotland
With no offence meant how can you prefer something if you haven't tried the alternative? I appreciate you giving me your opinions very much, this forum really is invaluable to me.

Steve
i watched reviews like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YhZYxUJGr8&feature and decided i would like a mischmetal one that firesteel.com and goinggear.com sell rather than the standard ones that light my fire and others do,i also prefer to have a firesteel tube rather than a standard one.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I don't get it. Am I missing the point? Surely the point of a firesteel is that it doesn't need to be kept dry like matches. Isn't this just a way to make kit heavier. I admit it does look nice but I still can't see the advantage.

I just bought a large swedish steel for £1.45 off the bay including postage!

Z

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
They corrode with moisture, it can be a pain for me because I do a lot of fishing and camping and I have found that in a pocket my sweat gets to them when I am walking so an enclosed waterproof version eliminates this problem.

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
I know that is all it would take but I like the idea of the tubes. To be fair I could just stop being lazy and pay closer attention to my ferro rod. I suppose I just like the look of the firesteel tubes... I know you guys are all taking good sense, I like gadgety things. (not enough that I will buy anything marked with Bear Grylls emblazoned in bright orange plastic though)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE