Anybody got one of these? Are they any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

TimB

I've used one of these types before. Very effective at catching the little blighters. I used a chicken leg as bait and left it for a couple of hours. Came back to a huge haul of crayfish...

Problem was that they had attacked the 600lb breaking strain dyneema I used to teather it and as it rose to the surface I spotted that it was full of tasty crays... it then broke away never to be seen again :O(

Ebay Link

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i reckon it would be more suited to the cray fish than the lobster.. we have always made ours.. but for 4.99 i would say its certainly worth investigating :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think there are problems with the legalities of using these in certain areas...regardless of HF-W's programme. The crayfish are easily caught but if the mesh is wrong it catches the native, under threat, ones too......and if you put one of those in a river that has angling interests you're going to be 'popular' :rolleyes:
I agree it's certainly cheap enough though, and if the mesh does tear it's simple enough to make a net.

Cheers,
Toddy

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
That is illegal to use in UK inland waters.
Using that is Poaching, which the Law takes a very dim view of (quite rightly) and will get you a Hefty Fine and possibly time inside.
There is also the issue of Fish Stocks, Native Crayfish are now Endangered, so leave them alone!

bogflogger said:
That is illegal to use in UK inland waters.
Using that is Poaching, which the Law takes a very dim view of (quite rightly) and will get you a Hefty Fine and possibly time inside.

That's not true bogflogger.

Check out this page on the Environment Agency Website.

Trapping the Signal Crayfish and releasing the native crayfish actually helps the natives.
Also, a lot of commercial fisheries will quite happily allow trapping in return for removing the destructive Signals.

As with everything, there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Interesting. Good link Rakusdrotti.

That environment agency report sounds like it's probably inadvisable to buy a trap and nip down your local river though eh?

Where were you thinking of using it Bam? Sweden? Maybe they have different laws?

Otherwise sounds like it'd be best to chat with a local environment agency officer first. Even if it is only a fiver.

:)

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Thanks for the infomation, I was unaware of this recent change in the Law.
Having read the article, I would still point out that you will need to contact the Enviroment Agency, regarding permission to use this type of net in any given location.
Furthermore, there is still the potential to transfer desease from one water to another, if you do not properly disenfect nets after use.

bogflogger said:
Thanks for the infomation, I was unaware of this recent change in the Law.
Having read the article, I would still point out that you will need to contact the Enviroment Agency, regarding permission to use this type of net in any given location.
Furthermore, there is still the potential to transfer desease from one water to another, if you do not properly disenfect nets after use.

True enough, also it would be interesting to see how easy it actually is to get a licence....

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Thanks TimB, RovingArcher & tomtom... For the money it's probably well worth a go.

I'm curious about "the potential to transfer desease from one water to another, if you do not properly disenfect nets after use" - Like anyone has disenfected their dog when it's gone in the water at one place and then in the water at another.

I hope ducks go through the proper quaranteen procedures before they move from one body of water to the next, they could spread something :eek:

:lmao:

Reactions: bambodoggy

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Blimey...how exciting, you guys never cease to amaze me with your scope for advice :)

I was actually only thinking of chucking them off the side of a boat somewhere off the coast of Dorset (depends where exactly a mate of mine is moving to...Bill? ;) ).

I hadn't even thought of using them inland in fresh water....still thanks for the ideas it seems they might be more useful than I first imagined :D

Thanks for all the info from those who have used them, I'm going to buy a few tomorrow I think :)

Bam. :D

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Squidders said:
Thanks TimB, RovingArcher & tomtom... For the money it's probably well worth a go.

I'm curious about "the potential to transfer desease from one water to another, if you do not properly disenfect nets after use" - Like anyone has disenfected their dog when it's gone in the water at one place and then in the water at another.

I hope ducks go through the proper quaranteen procedures before they move from one body of water to the next, they could spread something :eek:

:lmao:

I wondered about that too mate....and that's before you think of all the tesco trollies that go from water course to water course lol then there's waders, do you have to wade them through the sheep dip each time you use them...and finally all the fishing tackle that the thousands of fishermen up and down the country use, do they all go home and disinfect all their gear each time they use it? :confused:

Funny old world isn't it :lmao:

Bam. :D

Reactions: Squidders
Phil,

a lot of commercial angling places have disinfectant dips to dunk your nets in before you can use them :D

I remember my favourite lake in the New Forest being closed because all the Carp had been killed by infection.

That was, of course, before i fell in with a bad crowd and stopped fishing altogether ;) :lmao:

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
There are a number of parasites and water borne deseases that can be transferred by undisenfected tackle.
This is no laughing matter, it can lead to total destruction of fish stocks, if they are introduced into a clean waterway.
Further to this, Yes, Anglers DO disenfect tackle, and it is a condition of entry at all well managed fisherys, that you dip all your nets and waders in the biocide/disenfectant tanks before going anywhere near the water.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Frankly, coming from people who claim to have an interest in, and respect for nature, I am surprised that you find the potential destruction of the entire fish stocks of a river amusing.

raskusdrotti said:
Phil,

a lot of commercial angling places have disinfectant dips to dunk your nets in before you can use them :D

I remember my favourite lake in the New Forest being closed because all the Carp had been killed by infection.

Didn't think it was funny then, and i don't think it's funny now....

......did i miss something??? :confused:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
ok... i'm being picky here...

Firstly, nobody answered my comment about ducks?

Secondly, I wouldn't like to introduce (even what would be considered trace ammounts) of biocide/disenfectant over an extended period to any fish I had!

For a start, it's just not bushcrafty and also, I doubt the long term effects would be good... like most businesses, fisheries may be out to make money rather than consider what's really going on in the long term.

We bang on about recycling all the time and then some fishermen get it in their head that it's a good thing to bleach the damn water? lets do that for a few hundred years, we could also try and give fish the MMR jab and tinker with the natural order even more.

:banghead:

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
So introduce known parasites/deseases that cause a slow wasting death of all the fish in that water! Smart Move!
Perhaps you should do some research, before making crass comments about something you know nothing about!
BTW Ducks and Dogs DO spread these infections.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
so, we should kill all the ducks, rats, badgers, swans, otters, eagles etc... Because I don't think we'll be able to disenfect them all.

hmmm... nature's a funny old thing, sometimes things die and, you're right, we shouldn't add to it but it's not our place to try and control nature.

Anyway, this is descending in to something I don't want to be a part of... sorry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE