Any Soap Makers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Any makers here moving natural soap product on anywhere?

i know i could make my own soap and eventually I probably will but any of the makers types here making and selling through stalls or etsy that I can buy some from please?

Reactions: CrispyDuck

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
he does , but i don;'t think hr does to sell?? ( maybe wrong ) - just looking to put some small business to someone of the forum
I think he said he made them to give away, plus enogh for their own use, so I thought he might have some sitting around. :)

Reactions: TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Make your own. Use the cold process base you can buy online and you can add whatever you like to it to suit yourself. Look for Melt and Pour, and you'll find an enormous range available.

Everything from goats milk to pure olive oil castille.
You can make it as organic as you like, without SLS etc., just you don't need to deal with boiling up hot lye.

Nice thought to find a Maker though :bigok:

Xylaria used to make the coal tar stuff and sell it, but I don't mind anyone else offering.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I know someone who makes handmade birch tar soap. It is very good, but quite expensive. I'll look out her details and post them later. It smells very similar to pine tar, and she also makes birch sap soap which I use . She also does birch based liquors and excellent dry skin creams, and lip salve.

Reactions: FerlasDave

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So... where would I get the Pine tar base ingredient from then..

< Feeling a little side business coming on... >

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Finding and supporting a real soapmaker is a good thing, but there's a lot of pleasure in making your own.
Thing is though to do it from scratch really needs a lot of care. Pretty sure British Red has a tutorial on it...perhaps on his own site ?.....but it needs equipment, it needs the right chemicals etc.,

If you want to have a go at making soap that you can add whatever you like to, then this is a very simple straightforward start.

It does need care because the soap is hot! but that apart it's simple to use.

As for the pine tar, well, there's the issue really.
If you use real pine tar your soap changes a lot. It's softer, it doesn't last well, it thickens so fast it's hard to pour it into a mould, etc.,
There are also the health issues to consider because pine tar is not generally produced for human use. It's found in farm shops and boat chandlers. It has all kinds of claims about it being carcinogenic and full of creosote.

Most so called pine tar soap is actually just scented with essential oils of birch and a little dark colouring to immitate the old coal tar stuff.

Having made and used both, they smell the same, one lasts longer in use, and they both seem to keep the midgies sort-of off. They both smell of a campfire.

For my own soaps I buy a pure olive oil Castille base and work from there.
It takes everything from rose oil to bergamot, the addition of stuff like oatmeal and lavender, and it does fine for the tar type one too :)

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Finding and supporting a real soapmaker is a good thing, but there's a lot of pleasure in making your own.
Thing is though to do it from scratch really needs a lot of care. Pretty sure British Red has a tutorial on it...perhaps on his own site ?.....but it needs equipment, it needs the right chemicals etc.,

If you want to have a go at making soap that you can add whatever you like to, then this is a very simple straightforward start.

It does need care because the soap is hot! but that apart it's simple to use.

As for the pine tar, well, there's the issue really.
If you use real pine tar your soap changes a lot. It's softer, it doesn't last well, it thickens so fast it's hard to pour it into a mould, etc.,
There are also the health issues to consider because pine tar is not generally produced for human use. It's found in farm shops and boat chandlers. It has all kinds of claims about it being carcinogenic and full of creosote.

Most so called pine tar soap is actually just scented with essential oils of birch and a little dark colouring to immitate the old coal tar stuff.

Having made and used both, they smell the same, one lasts longer in use, and they both seem to keep the midgies sort-of off. They both smell of a campfire.

For my own soaps I buy a pure olive oil Castille base and work from there.
It takes everything from rose oil to bergamot, the addition of stuff like oatmeal and lavender, and it does fine for the tar type one too :)

M

And THIS is the reason I wanted to support a local maker rather than self promote myself to the local A&E department. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to say though; an awful lot of those 'soapmakers' who sell at craft shows and the like, they're buying and using the melt and pour stuff as their base.

No reason against it, it's good soap, and it comes in an incredible wide range of options these days.
It also comes with Data Sheets if necessary, so you know what's in the soap :)

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have to say though; an awful lot of those 'soapmakers' who sell at craft shows and the like, they're buying and using the melt and pour stuff as their base.

No reason against it, it's good soap, and it comes in an incredible wide range of options these days.
It also comes with Data Sheets if necessary, so you know what's in the soap :)

M

Suddy bubbles mostly I hope....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have a read at the label on a packet of soap. It'd surprise you how much 'stuff' goes into them.

SLS is a good froth maker, but so is meadow foam......but SLS costs a fraction of the price....want it white/white ? add titanium....long lasting scent .....add a fixative.....want it pink/blue/purple....they'll sell you chemicals that will do it.

I think that's why the diy with a clean simple base works for me.
Shops like Lush bring me out in horrendous hayfevery like symptoms and leave me with a headache.

I like knowing what's in my soap, and I like being able to make what I use.
So, my gardening soap is a scrubby one with oatmeal added, while my shower one has rose oil :)

You get the idea, I'm sure :)

For the record, bergamot works well, and it's a very pleasant one that most menfolks don't object to.
The birch oil is good, but it has it's own distinct scent.
Sandalwood is lovely, but it can be 'heavy'.
Genuine Gale, our own native bog myrtle, is lovely and it's as good at anti-midge as the smokey tar ones.

Reactions: nigelp

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Genuine Gale, our own native bog myrtle
Ahhh, nothing like a good berserk time. (The story goes that Vikings used bog myrtle tea to induce the proper mind set for battle.) From some user stories it does have an effect that is somewhat unsettling in some people...

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
OK, here are the details,
www.priestlandbirch.co.uk
Tel mobile 07770 463 152
The birch tar is made by themselves and not bought in.
Excellent soap, which I use daily., though I use birch sap soap for everyday, and birch tar in camp.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ahhh, nothing like a good berserk time. (The story goes that Vikings used bog myrtle tea to induce the proper mind set for battle.) From some user stories it does have an effect that is somewhat unsettling in some people...

Do you know I have never heard that of that use for it ?
It's the cap badge of Clan Campbell. It's used traditionally here as an additive to some wines, but mostly as an anti midge.
It's also an old strewing herb, sometimes added to straw paliasses too.

Myrtle, mugwort and melissa boiled up and stewed like tea in a close lidded vessel makes a liquid to wipe over exposed skin.
There's nothing really, really effective against a determined midge, DDT apart, but this does help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE