Any 1" Belt Makers??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Do any of the makers here make sturdy thick 1" leather belts for sensible money?

I don't mind paying for quality products as long as they last so rather give trade to some one here.

So seeking 1" wide THICK durable leather belts with standard fittings.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Have a word with Dougster.

I got a 2" belt from him that's my main user 7+ years ago. It could do with a re-dye and polish but apart from that I'm not going to be looking to replace it any time soon.

If Dougster can't help then try Bardster, he's another high quality leathercrafter. He doesn't post much on here anymore but you can contact him on FB.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I didn't know that - thank you.
What is the quality of the leather is like ??
Depends on the seller.

Personally if I were going to buy a belt blank I'd get it from Le Prevo which would have a wider selection to choose from as well as dyed through which will save you the hassle of dying unless you want a different colour to brown or black.

If you want heavy duty, top quality then go for a bridle butt strap. You can also get solid brass buckles and keepers from them as well that will last you a life time

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Le prevo would be a better bet. Tho I have bought some good leather blanks from the bay. I wasn’t making belts I wanted some straps, and I haven’t got a strap cutter.
Always make sure it is English leather that you are buying

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've had good fortune with the 3.5mm veg tanned belt blanks off Ebay.
So far I've made myself a 3" wide belt, 1" wide braces for my tool pouches and made a 1" wide dog lead, a 1"wide dog collar (which is basically just a short belt with a couple of extra stainless D rings) and so far I've not done any stitching at all.

Solid copper (think theyre Number 8) rivets have done the job nicely as I'm not keen on the hollow rivets.

I bought the cheapest hole punch set and also leatherworking kit I could find and honestly for stuff like belts its not rocket science.

Buy a bit extra and have a go, fair bit of instruction stuff on Youtube.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
I make 1inch and 1 1/2 inch belts from 3mm wax tanned leather. They are brutally strong.
First one I made is 9 years old and hasn't stretched or distorted at all.
Can do any colours, can bevel and gloss kote the edges any colour too.
Hand sewn with either nylon sail thread or waxed rabbit sinew.
I make a couple every Christmas and I charge £40.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I make 1inch and 1 1/2 inch belts from 3mm wax tanned leather. They are brutally strong.

Can you message me please with some photos

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Wax tanned eh?
Never heard of it before, I've noticed that my veg tanned braces are stretching a bit but it's got to be said that my work toolbelt is often pretty loaded up.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
Wax tanned eh?
Never heard of it before, I've noticed that my veg tanned braces are stretching a bit but it's got to be said that my work toolbelt is often pretty loaded up.

"Lyveden Waxy Rustic Leather" is what the supplier sells it as.
It discolours over time but the holes never seem to stretch.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
"Lyveden Waxy Rustic Leather" is what the supplier sells it as.
It discolours over time but the holes never seem to stretch.
Aye, grand.
It's not the end of the world with mine but I can see its stretched a bit.
The braces are just a 1" strap bent and rivetted at one end and holes every inch on a good length of the rest.
That goes through a 2"wide section over my shoulders.
Fully loaded with hammer, pincers, square, punches, tape measure, stanley knife so on and several sleeves of 30 odd first fix nailgun nails weighs a bit.
I could go up on the braces width but it works so well as it is I'd rather not add more mass to the rig.

Reactions: TroubledTalent

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
BTW - I've now had Four Belts from TroubledTalent and can say I'm very happy with them. My favourite being the 11/2" belts.

Recommended.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE