any sewing machine recomendations

Can anyone recommend a cheapish sewing machine that is reliable, easy to use and does simple things well and nothing fancy? Less than a hundred quid would be ideal.

I have an old but very good singer tradle machine in almost mint condition (open to offers if anyone is interested?), but I'd like to try an electric machine for conveniance.

WS

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not sure if it`s any help but I picked one up from a car boot sale few months ago for £5. It`s probaly about 40 years old but it`s bombproof and easy to maintain. I thought for the sake of £5 if it last me 6 months then that`ll do.

There were loads there too but knowing nothing about them I just went for the first one I saw.

It`s been pretty good to be honest aswell.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Try your local sewing machine repairist - they often have ones they have taken in part ex - that is how I goyt my latest one.
Ancient, only does straight stitch, but is solid and will go through pouch leather!
This joins my modern embroidery-computer controlled, do everything Husquavana (which is weak and breaks down a lot), my hand turned singer, and my overlocker....
I like making stuff!

Gailainne

Life Member
Both Lidl and Aldi do sewing machines every once in a while, thier nothing special, I got mine from Aldi a while back, Delta, comes with a 3 yr warranty and quite a few different feet, shrug havent done much more than stuff sacks (I was told theyre good to practise on :rolleyes: ) but it seems to handle my ineptness no probs.

BTW the hammockforum site in the States give quite a few tips on how to use the things, and links to more sites as well.

Regards

Stephen

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Many years ago I picked up one called a Dressmaker at a household auction for under $20 usd. It's a table-top portable. Simple machine, with no fancy zigzag type stitching. Just set it on the table, undo two hasps, pull the plastic cover off, lay out the cords/pedal, plug it in, and you're ready to go. Since then I've sewn up 4 tents from scratch, several tarps, many many canvas bags, and several coats/shirts/pants. I've stayed away from sewing leather with it so far. With a heavy-duty needle and cotton wrapped polyester thread it worked very well on the tents/tarps, and they have held up well over the years. Occasionally I do hand-crank it through thick sections on the canvas - up to 8 layers. But that's minor.

I've been very happy with it over the years.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

pwb

I used a Singer 237 for years until it dropped out of it's case on to it's hand wheel, breaking it clean off. :yikes:
My current machine is exactly the same but called a Merritt. Got it ,as John suggested, second hand a trade in at a sewing shop. I just bolted the old motor and controller on. It can handle quite heavy work ,I've used it on canvas, slowly, but not very much on leather.

Pete.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
i got me an immaculate old singer at car boot sale recent, loads of accessories thrown in, the woman selling it even spent 10 minutes showing me how to thread it up, and the cost? £6, cant believe such a beautiful machine is worth so little, but i love her already :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE