Any meetups in Kent...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I asked for that didn't I.

So, the men (and women?) of Kent want to be among the best friction fire makers in the country? Master the hand drill? A worthy ambition. As you saw I am still learning myself.

Just getting a slight pang of keeping a perspective on real life. With several bushcraft events already on my calendar I would have to negotiate very carefully with my other half.

The principle sounds great though. If you get some dates for a future camping weekend we could look at it as part of that?

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Hi chaps,

In view of Kings wood being a brill place to meet and the problem that I had when using my KK there in the car park, I dropped the FC an email to see if it would be possiable to allocate a small area out of the way to play and maybe the odd one of two nighter hammock type camp.

This was the reply:

I would appreciate it if you and these people could note that no fires or camping is permitted on any FC land. Please note that it is for your and their own safety as we are constantly in the process of controlling deer numbers and if rangers are not aware of camp sites or people in out of the way places then somebody is going to get hurt. Our risk assessment system will cover US for accidents- does theirs/yours?!

Not only that, we have worked hard to establish the woodland and are actively managing the area for coinservation and wildlife. There are areas of rare ground flora and fauna which do not need to be disturbed. Also, the last thing we want is 1250 acres going up in smoke!

It seems a bit final but it really is a lot more than I expected after the KK episode. :( :( :(

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
It's a shame, but I can see their point: They don't know if we are conscientious or not

Kings Wood is still a great place to just meet up, swap ideas, and just have a good ol' chat with like minded people.

Did anyone actually get in touch with Wattler about an alternate location?

Hellz

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Thanks for trying Chopper but I think the Forestry people are set in running things the way they do and the only people who get maximum pleasure from (their) our public land are the people that work there (lucky bods). Shall we set a basha up down the Stand? :D Kings is still a good place for a walk and meet though. Hellz I havnt contacted the guy about the land I was hoping some one else had

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
It really is a shame , but I have to say I dont blame the FC for making these rules.

But, I do agree that it is still a really good place to meet up, quite possibly the best in Kent.

As far as Little Hall Pinetum, I done a bit of research on the web and found that it is a Nationally Registered Tree collection, I must say that I would be really suprised if they were to allow bushcrafters and especially fires in there. But i have not actually contacted them, they may have a seperate piece of woodland else where.

As far as a basha at the Strand, I always fancied camping on Bowaters roundabout, would be handy for Tesco. :) :) :)

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Wow, bowaters roundabout by Tesco you say Chopper. Thats pretty local to me!

My parents live down first avenue off of watling street and I only live 15-20mins drive down in Wouldham.

Camping on bowaters, yeah I'd be up for that ;)

The views from there are spectacular. Reckon you could see a Nova GSI every 10mins from that site... :yelrotflm

Geoff

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
I think that Fa11en Angel said he was going to try and contact the warden at Little hall. Maybe he is away/busy at the mo or just hasn't had a reply yet. Are you out there Fa11en?:)

It would be great if we can get something organised for sometime near Easter.

Chopper said:
As far as Little Hall Pinetum, I done a bit of research on the web and found that it is a Nationally Registered Tree collection, I must say that I would be really suprised if they were to allow bushcrafters and especially fires in there. But i have not actually contacted them, they may have a seperate piece of woodland else where.

I found the location for Little Hall on Google Earth and on maps and it looks like there is more than one block of woodland at the location which is hopefull although it doesn't appear to be a very big site, we would most likely have to limit numbers.

If anybody makes contact with the warden I would be up for a site visit. If we can offer them help in maintaining the site (maybe with a few work parties, etc) then they would be more ameniable to buscraft activities.

nathe

Feb 3, 2006
kent
Hello all,
I have been asked to look at this site as we have been mentioned... I am one of the wardens of Littlehall Pinetum and woods - how can I help?

Wattler

Oct 14, 2005
Kent
www.forager.org.uk
Nathe your e-mail account does not work! just got a delivery failure message after sending a message. By the way the pinetum is only part of the area of woodland on one site, and its not the pinetum itself that would be used for bushcratf stuff.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
nathe said:
Hello all,
I have been asked to look at this site as we have been mentioned... I am one of the wardens of Littlehall Pinetum and woods - how can I help?

PM sent I'll keep you all posted :eek:

nathe

Feb 3, 2006
kent
Am I missing something here? :(
I presume PM means private message?

The pinetum for anyone who is genuinely interested is a privately owned and association managed holding which comprises of woodlands and clearings as well as the actual pinetum, which does not allow for activities within it. However, the woodlands is used and will be used by groups wanting to enjoy and respect it.
Our email address is littlehallpinetum@hotmail.co.uk
We do not have a web site although you may be aware that there are numerous photographs of the pinetum and woods posted on the natural pathways website.....

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Hi Nathe,

Yes PM means Private Message. It should flag up automatically when you log in.

What we are after is an area of woodland where we would be allowed, as a group, to practice bushcraft and traditional/primitive skills and possibly use for overnight stays.

Would this be possible in any of the woodlands you are associated with? As for respecting the woodland, that's a given :D

Thanks,
Patrick

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hi Nathe,

Great that you have dropped in. Bushcrafting is ALL about enjoying and respecting natural environments such as woodland. I don't think I am speaking out of turn in saying I think the folks here might have in mind a weekend camping on one or more occasions, sharing backwoods/ bushcraft skills, and might be pleased to donate some time to help out in woodland management as part of a deal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE