Any meetups in Kent...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
I'm a tree surgeon so I can help with knots and tree ident, etc. and I am quite into spoon carving and other green woodworking projects so I might be able to help there.

:neo2:

Also if anyone has trouble finding a source of carving materials I could bring some stuff along such as spoon blanks in birch or other woods depending on what I come accross at work in the next few weeks. Tell me what you are after and I can keep an eye out for "bushcraft materials!" :Wow:

I will also have my carving tools and a range of ident books in the van for perusal.:beerchug:

:thinkerg: One idea that I had for a bushcraft activity that we could do would be a tracking exercise where we split up into two teams and track one another down.

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Well, I can't PROMISE I will be there, but I'd like to think I could make it :)

So hopefully see you all there in the car park about 9:30-10:00. Errr, how will we identify each other, only I assume there will be other people there not from the forum and I'd feel a right wally asking around, they'd probably think I was nuts :eek:

Laurence, your scaring me all this talk of hunting each other down! But I'd appreciate some wood blanks for spoons. Got my first crook knife which I understand should be all I need really?

Would be interested in seeing fire by friction, but do they allow fire in Kings Wood?

Just hope I can find the place!

Cheers
Geoff

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Geoffrey_Bubbles said:
Well, I can't PROMISE I will be there, but I'd like to think I could make it :)

So hopefully see you all there in the car park about 9:30-10:00. Errr, how will we identify each other, only I assume there will be other people there not from the forum and I'd feel a right wally asking around, they'd probably think I was nuts :eek:

Laurence, your scaring me all this talk of hunting each other down! But I'd appreciate some wood blanks for spoons. Got my first crook knife which I understand should be all I need really?

Would be interested in seeing fire by friction, but do they allow fire in Kings Wood?

Just hope I can find the place!

Cheers
Geoff

Well seeing as how many are coming out of the woodwork - look for a large group in swannies and carrying rucksacks and knives :D :D

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Geoffrey_Bubbles said:
Errr, how will we identify each other, only I assume there will be other people there not from the forum and I'd feel a right wally asking around, they'd probably think I was nuts :eek:
Geoff
Hey Geoffrey :swordfigh
Look for the group of green clad oddballs in the car park waveing axes around :yikes: .Seriously though some of us are bound to have their Bushcraft UK badges on and T-Shirts if it's warm enough. Anyway I'm sure it'll be obvious the car park will probably be deserted apart from us fools, failing that we could meet by the sign at the entrance to the woods or something (someone that knows the site better than I help me here):dunno:

The tracking games are just a bit of harmless fun and a good way to learn the basics of tracking.;)

For firelighting materials I will try and bring some birch bark and suitable wood for making bowdrill hearths.

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
Seeing as I'm kind of organising this (how the heck did that happen????) I'll probably be there from just after 9am. I'll be the wierdo in the Swanni (with BCUK badge) wearing the Barmah hat, standing by a grey Punto parked just to the right of the carpark entrance. :D

Laurence the tracking idea sounds pretty cool, and could I put my name down for some wood. I need a couple of pieces is possible - one for a wooden spoon (intended for cooking not eating) and one for a kuksa. :You_Rock_

I have no great skills but I can bring some of my tinder too, and a selection of cramp balls. I found a huge supply of these local to me a couple of weeks ago, If I get the chance I'll get one for everyone coming.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Guys ill be there if SWMBO doesnt veto.
Ill be in my new akubra, does this mean therell be rivalry and friction followed by apalling violence (no I wont bring the chainsaw and hockey mask {;-)>

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Yes it seems a real shame that no one know's of a piece of woodland that like minded bushcrafters could go as i am sure people would pay a small fee for the priviledge!
I myself have been a keen walker (In Scotland and the Lakes) for some years now and i too come from the wrong end of england for woodland excitment :banghead: All i seem to be able to do as far as the bushcraft side of things go is camp when i can on normal sites and go for beautiful walks around the woodland near woodchurch and Bewl water. :lmao:
But i guess sooner than later some rich person will become a member and buy a large wood for us all to go :You_Rock_
So until then here's to watching the ray mears dvd's :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Cool, I'm sure I'll find some of you there when I arrive.

Sounds like quite a few people going now, so will be nice to put some names to faces.

Dunno how long I will be able to stay before the wife calls me and tells me to stop fooling around in the woods and get my ray mears a$$ back home cos she needs a break from our little 8month old girl, but such is life :eek:

Off to the London Boat show this saturday :)

Geoff

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Anyone else from SE London thinking of going? Could combine forces on transport.

If I can make it then I could show a bit of hand or bow drilling if it is allowed.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
As we enjoyed Waynes' little soiree at the weekend I shall ask the co-pilot if she would like another walk in the woods

Shouldn't be too much of an ordeal. One can only ask

Does anyone mind if I bring the pup too? He was the reason I couldn't get to talk to people as much as I would have liked but he does like these little excursions

Tracking sounds fun
If there is a spoon blank I have a virgin crook knife

See you there

Rich59, can't combine transport as I'll probably have to rush off to work straight after but if you want to go down in convoy so we all get lost together ...... ?

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Not been to any sort of meet before, what do people normally take along?

Do people carry their own flasks of tea and food? I assume most people will be down there the whole morning and possibly into the afternoon?

Geoff

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Geoffrey_Bubbles said:
Not been to any sort of meet before, what do people normally take along?

Do people carry their own flasks of tea and food? I assume most people will be down there the whole morning and possibly into the afternoon?

Geoff

Everything!

Seriously though - take whatever you feel you will need - as though you were on your own for a walk in the woods. If you want to take a flask then do so. I and I am sure others, will have billy's and stoves in the car so can make a brew anywhere :) I will be taking a few munchies but not expecting to cook anything.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Various people have asked me to bring along some material for spoon making, but I thought I'd ask if there are any special requests for what wood to bring? :confused:

Assuming that I come accross some that is, I won't be cutting trees down just so you can make an exotic spoon. :lmao:

So far I have got a pile building up of Birch, Hornbeam, Oak, Ash and even some Mulberry. Plus as my dad is a woodturner we have a stock of all sorts of stuff in various stages of seasoning.

The birch will be the most suitable for spoon making and some of the hornbeam is spalted so will be interesting to play with. The mulberry will be lovely if you have something more ambitious in mind, such as Kuksa's maybe. If any of you are into knife handles then PM me some dimensions and I can run some seasoned mulberry through the bandsaw.:27:

Hornbeam is very hardwearing and tough and supposed to be ideal for making gluts/wedges for splitting/cleaving timber so I will bring some suitable for this. Also it spalts easily and I thought a spalted hornbeam bowl or kuksa might be fun.

So get your requests in while I still have time to source suitable materials.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE