Any meetups in Kent...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Kings Wood is a nice place, we walk there often.

I'm still trying to pluck up the courage to ask the local estate for camping permission as they have some lovely woodland. I'm hoping the fact that I'm an estate tenant will encourage them...

Hellz

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
The sooner you do it the better. Afterall the worst they can say is no, and then you're in the same position you are now. I ended up just posting a wanted ad on the company intranet classifieds and got a suprisingly positive result. It led to two good leads one of which I now have access to. I plan on giving it a good explore this weekend.

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
I've been in touch with a guy at the south east countryside agency (government run) and he is supposed to be getting back to me next week some time, hopefully with some positive information, but it remains to be seen!

I will keep you all posted...

Geoff

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Sorry peeps, really not had much luck, been passed around all over the place and the general concensus is, wihtout finding a sympathetic private woodland land owner, the kind of things we want to 'possibly' do are going to be very hard to find somewhere in the south-east suitable to do them.

I spoke to a lady in the forrestry commision who have plenty of woodland in the kent area and they are happy upon application for groups to use their woods for bushcraft activities and have a number of other organisations that use them from time to time for survival courses and the like, but I don't see how as they don't allow overnight camping and no fires!

I really have tried hard with this too from the point of view of official lines of enquiry. Only other thing I can think to try is write to the local MP and explain the distinct lack of wild woodland and suitably quiet out of the way locations for the practice of traditional bushcraft and meets of like minded outdoor enthusiasts!

What do other people reckon?

I think we really need somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody, etc, to get a good word put in and find a privately owned spot somewhere...

Geoff

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
Hellz said:
I'm still trying to pluck up the courage to ask the local estate for camping permission as they have some lovely woodland. I'm hoping the fact that I'm an estate tenant will encourage them...

Hellz

So did you ask yet?

Anyway in the absence of further developments in the way of group camping opportunities who fancies just meeting up for a day walk? Also taking in to account my previous suggestion, does anyone else have any other options for the location?

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
fa11en ange1 said:
Anyway in the absence of further developments in the way of group camping opportunities who fancies just meeting up for a day walk? Also taking in to account my previous suggestion, does anyone else have any other options for the location?

I'm up for a day meet. Kings Wood is good - There is even parking

I know some places I have used as tea stop/ picnic sites that could be used for a longer time - some even with a fire.
Only Sunday I have left this month is the 29th

Anybody else ?

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I would like to come it would be good to put some faces to names. Ive walked my terriers there a couple of times (but would be up for an alternative meet) I may be able to bring a mate to make up the numbers.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
I assume we are referring to the Forestry Commission owned Kings Wood near Chilham? It is a nice site, and not too bad to get to. Count me in please, I would be up for a walk round to. :)

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Laurence Dell said:
I assume we are referring to the Forestry Commission owned Kings Wood near Chilham? It is a nice site, and not too bad to get to. Count me in please, I would be up for a walk round to. :)

Thats the one . I would assume the car park marked as forest walks on the
OS map. Go south east from Challock take a left fork , road called white hill
& it on the left. Grid Ref 024500

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
So does anyone have any special skills / knowledge they feel like sharing on the day? For example fire by friction (hand or bow) materials/techniques, fungal expertise, tracking etc..

Also do we want any kind of planned route, or is a general wonder (in directions leading away from other members of the public) the preferred method?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE