Any mechanics on here

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
My brother bought me a car a couple of weeks ago ( Thanks Bruv!). Its an Audi A4 1999 and is fantastic, except for the blower. Sometimes it works , its gets all warm and cosy and the windscreen clears. Sometimes it doesn't, the display says it is but no air comes out, it gets cold and damp and I can't see.
This seems to happen when its just above freezing outside, below freezing seems to be no problem.
Its off to the garage tomorrow , can't afford the Audi dealers, but I fear as an intermittent fault this will turn into a saga.
Anyone got any experience or knowledge what the problem is likely to be?

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Find an Audi owners forum that covers your car, join & ask questions. Useually works out a lot cheeper as you have an idea wht the problem is before the car enters a garage. I had the same thing on a mates Hyundai coupe, where everyone said to change the blower fan, A quick trip to the local scrap dealer bought a new fan for less than a tenner. It took 5 minuites to put in & has been working for the last 3 years. That would have cost several hundred quid to find the fault, order the part & fit it.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
given the age of the car,and the type of fault, first stop is the bushes on the fan motor. find the right parts number and try ebay (about £7 - £8 a pair)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Thanks all. A consensus indeed. Ronnie, I'd looked at that exact page shortly after posting - great minds do seem to think alike.

I'll mention the bushes to the garage bloke tomorrow, if I start fiddling with it who knows what I'll end up breaking.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
My blower has an intermittant non start blower.

I thought about a techincal approach, then used the wifes.

I now hit it about half way up the centre console if it doesnt work and never touch the on off knob.

Its been working like this for nearly a year now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE