Any Lofty Wiseman survival tool reviews

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
As the title really, on the surface looks a good piece of kit but in my experience there's usually a few drawbacks. I have been looking of getting a heavyish parang/kukri for a while now and wondered if anyone has any experience with it ?

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
Tried one a while back, the grip didn't work for me at all

I'd rather have a spring steel Parang
Ah, thats two against the grip. Its a lot of money to start carving it around for comfort like i did with my Tramontina. Do you still have the Parang ? If so where did you get it ?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Ah, thats two against the grip. Its a lot of money to start carving it around for comfort like i did with my Tramontina. Do you still have the Parang ? If so where did you get it ?

It’s another three against the grip, assuming you’re talking about the staniforths - me and the two people I’ve rehandled them for.

http://www.stewartjlight-knives.com/2012/09/a-re-handled-lofty-wiseman-survival-tool.html?m=1

Reactions: The Frightful

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I had the 1st Model ? of Lofty's Parang / Survival Tool which had the Black Rubber? Handle Grip.
I thought that the the Grip was Good but the Handle thickness on it wasn't enough for my hands, But with Gloves it felt ok, But I didn't think that wearing Gloves every time I was going to use it was going to be a winner.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Like all tools you have to use for many months to be proficient with it and most knives will be good then. My use of the MOD survival knife a long time ago took ages to be good with it and most people hated that knife.

Looking at the re handled version it might be a idea to get a Lofty wiseman knife a good knife and re handle it. It will last a lifetime.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It is a strange looking beast. I got myself a Condor Lochnessmuk blade blank from Heinnies some time back, for around £20, took a file to the blade because it was very crude, a sharpened crowbar, and fashioned a simple but functional leather handle for it and it is not a bad chopper at all.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Looking up something the other day, I accidentally re-watched a video by virtuovice.

Nata. Suddenly, an overpowering desire for a nata has returned.

Morris-Martel

Jul 18, 2021
Kent
I had the 1st Model ? of Lofty's Parang / Survival Tool which had the Black Rubber? Handle Grip.
I thought that the the Grip was Good but the Handle thickness on it wasn't enough for my hands, But with Gloves it felt ok, But I didn't think that wearing Gloves every time I was going to use it was going to be a winner.
I still have one of those ones which would really be the 2nd model as Survival aids sold his Oakwood stainless steel version back in the early 90's for £150. I think of all the versions the rubber handle one made by the welsh blacksmith chap outclass all the others due to not been cut out a bit of plate steel and ground. I have been using my one for 19 years now and it is in my mind a superb tool for backwoods stuff, cutting trees down and especially splitting fire wood.
I also have had the pleasure of using Loftys original tool he made in the far east out of a truck leaf spring. You can see that oen being used by Peter Duncan at the Tenbury wells area training ground lofty used to use

Morris-Martel

Jul 18, 2021
Kent
I still have one of those ones which would really be the 2nd model as Survival aids sold his Oakwood stainless steel version back in the early 90's for £150. I think of all the versions the rubber handle one made by the welsh blacksmith chap outclass all the others due to not been cut out a bit of plate steel and ground. I have been using my one for 19 years now and it is in my mind a superb tool for backwoods stuff, cutting trees down and especially splitting fire wood.
I also have had the pleasure of using Loftys original tool he made in the far east out of a truck leaf spring. You can see that oen being used by Peter Duncan at the Tenbury wells area training ground lofty used to use

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE