any leather?

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
hey guy's,
i'm looking to get a hold of some leather to make a sheath, i've looked on line but unless i'm going to make about a hundred and have money to burn it seems that i have to buy a half a cow! a little excessive, so i'm hoping that you guy's may have some idea's?

cheers for any help you can offer!:D

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Craven, Im going to be in the market soon for some leather, just bought 4 knife kits that are all going to need sheaths.
If you need somone to get some leather with you give me a shout.

What have you got in the way of tools??

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
hey guy's,
i'm looking to get a hold of some leather to make a sheath, i've looked on line but unless i'm going to make about a hundred and have money to burn it seems that i have to buy a half a cow! a little excessive, so i'm hoping that you guy's may have some idea's?

cheers for any help you can offer!:D

Last time I made a single sheath, I called LePrevo .
They will cut you a wide beltlength in whatever you want...I used 4 inch width but I,m pretty sure they can go up to 6 inch. You'll get at least two sheaths out of a 4 inch beltlength.

No need to get a half-cow hide, unless you need it to cover another half cow.
Give em a shout, you'll find them all very helpful.

Ceeg

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I've used a guy on Ebay for a while called "Barker Hides" he sells small peices of what he calls shoe sole leather, but it's good 4mm(ish) veg tan.

I have no connection to the guy but have bought quite a bit of leather from him and it's all been good and the only problem I had he sorted and even paid my return postage:)

Cheers

Richard

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
I'm going to Colyton tomorrow. So if lucky I might have some spare Paul, if not DAVE (shout),we're around your place!!!

See you next month.

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
cool, thanks chaps, I new I could count on u guys for idea's!

Teedee, harryhawk and dave, I will be in touch !:D

Cheers
Paul

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I wouldnt use the leather from Attleborough - mine came very badly scratched and anyhow its chrome tan. Not that i have anything against them - i have had some good stuff from there just not leather.

If its chrome tan you want i have some you can have, veriety of colours etc.

Alternatively i have the same problem getting veg tan. A member on here very generously sent me some beutifull 4mm veg tann from le prevo's offcuts bin, only just enough to work with but made me realise what cr*p i was trying to work with.
So i'll be keeping an eye on this for ideas on how to get some meself too!

:)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
When buying from Leprevo you can buy leather as cut straps LOOK HERE but ask for 4 X 2" as one peice so you get a 8" X 44" peice

8 inches works out at 4x £5.73 = £22.90 +delivery+ vat works out to be £29.78. which is quite a lot of money if all you want to do is make one sheath.
For the same amount of money you’d be able to buy a small Columbo side - grade 2 3.2mm which is £2.70 x 7 plus deliver and vat works out to be £25.80. And on a more positive note I’m sure that there is sufficient number of people willing to take any leftover/ extra leather of your hands.

Even better Idea. 3.5mm veg tanned leather 48" x 6" On Ebay (a good reliable seller whom I have used half a dozen times before)
380117346531 for under £13

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
Paul, if you have any difficulties drop me a PM and I'll see what I can sort out for you.

hey leon,
thanks again for the help at the RV, i could really get into this leather craft, your stuff on your web site is fantastic!:You_Rock_

paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE