Any Jack Russell Owners or General Dog Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I would go for a West Highland White Terrier, they're great little dogs, beautiful temperament, excellent with very small children, good house dogs, love walking, and are brave little defenders of 'their' people.

Perhaps contact the Kennel Club, Breed, and Breeders Associations to find a good breeder, this is exactly what I did, with excellent results.

I would always go directly to the breeder, rather than to a pet shop, as you are bringing an unknown quantity into your home and family, and you need to be assured of history (breeder and dog!) and temperament.

Our breeder actually interviewed us in depth before deciding that we would be good guardians of the pup, she was known to have refused pups to those whom she felt would not be suitable (Elaine Paige was one of those refused a Westie).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I love my Jack,

Snoop is only the second dog I've had, and Irish Wolf Hound was the other and at the other end of the size scale.

Both were rescue dogs, Snoop was badly abused as a pup, busted ribs the lot, wouldn't eat when we got him. Yet within a mater of months he was a very healthy working terrier who also saved my ex from the "economy sized foreheaded idiots Roty" The chap even asked me to pay the vet bill.... :lmao:

Jacks don't tend to get on with Westies though and since the rotty incident he has a dislike for orange eyebrows. Works well and is my best pal... though also seemsto switch sides when my mate comes up and sleeos with him instead :D

Never gets sick and dirt falls off of him before he gets home. Keeps the freezer full and is a general good egg. JAcks do suffer from heart problems though seemingly... though he seems fine for now.

You wont go wrong with 'em , though they are strong minded and remember that they are programed to chase small things that move fast... little kids can be a worry.

Wouldn't change him for the world.

Goatboy.

Purdy Bear

Jun 5, 2009
SE London
I would ask myself some questions before getting a dog:

Can I afford the food and vets bills, as well as all of the equipment needed?
Do I have the time to walk, play with, and look after the dog?
What sort of dog is best for my circumstances and not the other way round?
How active am I?
What sort of house and garden would the dog be coming into?
Will I be at home all day or at work?
What would I do when we go on holiday (kennels or dog sitter) and the cost?
Do I need another child like thing in my house?
Do I want a puppy or an older dog?

There are many more questions, these are just the beginning.

Once youv thought about these, I would take a long time reading up on dog behaviour, there are usually lots of books in libraries. Also if youv made up your mind on a Jack Russell read up on its behaviour and temperament traits.

Then I would think if you want a rescue dog or a puppy from a breeder?

There are lots of different dogs in rescue now, and due to the recession not all bad. The majority of good rescue centers (Battersea Dogs and Cats Home etc), will do an interview and then pick a dog that best suits you.

I wouldnt buy a puppy from a newspaper or an unknown source.

Try this website, its for dog owners and has the top rescue centers as well as a breed information section:

www.dogpages.co.uk

It also has a behaviour, training section, and is extremely helpful.

Iv had dogs for 36 years. I wouldnt recommend a dog for the under 6s, although some would say that is nonsense. This is not only to protect the child, but also the dog!

We love our Jacks!

One was a rescue dog, the other we got from my parents litter also Cara (white - rescue dog) and "Dotty" relaxing in the sun. "Dotty has a bandage after an accident she had.

They are not working dogs, but have been trained well, and are keen to please! I have had Jacks all my life, lovely dogs....

Poor-Paw-019.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE