Any ideas what this is?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Might be coming from inside the tube (it's an alder which is doing quite well as you can see from the tube splitting - only planted 3 years ago). Looks like too much to be cuckoo spit

20170131_171918.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Here in the colony, the nymphs of the leaf hoppers are called "spittle bugs". Crop pests.
Sap-sucking bugs which kick up a foamy "nest" to keep from dehydrating and dying.
Look like spittle bug foam.
You have them also?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
looks like The Stuff to me

[video=youtube;uE6Z1nBqLwo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE6Z1nBqLwo[/video]

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
Robin, does this happen during/after rainfall? If yes, as it rains the water dissolves chemicals from the bark of the tree which changes the surface tension. This allows air to be introduced causing the foam either at the base of the tree or a similar choke point. My dogs always bark at it, unsure what it is! Luke

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Luke, first time I've noticed it and it has been raining quite heavily. Perhaps it's a similar mechanism to the DOC foam you get on ponds?

It was gone today so obviously not waterproof - I'd have thought an animal protective foam would be a little more resilient?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Luke, first time I've noticed it and it has been raining quite heavily. Perhaps it's a similar mechanism to the DOC foam you get on ponds?

It was gone today so obviously not waterproof - I'd have thought an animal protective foam would be a little more resilient?

Check if the tree guard is split on that side and whether there are any remnants of foam in it?

While you're there, check the strap on the stake isn't constricting the trunk too ;). That's not relative to the foam, it just annoys me to see trees planted with care that aren't looked after.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The straps aren't long enough to go around a trunk of that diameter and I planted these trees myself so checked them before tightening the straps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE