any ideas for 8 - 10 year olds?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
I'm off for a bunkhouse with my Cub Pack this weekend to do a Captain Caveman sleepover . I've got bunch of things to do, such as building a couple of benders with some hazel and tarps; collecting tinder and kindling and messing with firesteels and making a hot drink; a bit of tracking and stalking; throwing bunny sticks about (safely, naturallly!). There's not much woodland that I can use but it is very close to the sea. Does anyone have any bright ideas for other things I could do to fire them up more for the great outdoors?
Thanks
Mazeman

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Mazeman,

one of the downloadble pdf's on the site has got things to do in it which would be suitable i think, have a look.

Madoc i hold dear to my heart, spent many a weekend and longer at Blackrock.:D

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Do some simple "leather craft", but with clothe instead. Pick up a couple pairs of jeans that are too far gone to wear. Cut the legs off and talk them through sewing up their own Ditty Bags.

Scrounge some flint nodules from along the beach and teach some simple flint knapping - like making a simple cutting knife edge or scraper.

Go through several variations of starting and tending a fire (besides getting that initial spark/flame) - heating, cooking, reflector, tipi/log cabin style, etc.

Talk them through making their own Billy Can - using carefully chosen modern food cans (not plastic lined) and some wire. (cut one end out completely, smooth up any sharp edges, punch two holes, and loop some wire through those holes to create a bale)

Have them make a simple folded and stitched paper journal, and then go document things found/seen on their hikes. (Fold several long strips of paper in half, then use yarn or thick/heavy thread to run a few stitches up the fold to hold them all together. A piece of heavy paper or thin cardboard on the outside makes a good cover.)

Go through some of the many ways to set up a rectangular tarp as a shelter/tent.

Go through some of the ways to fold one or two blankets together to form your "sleeping bag".

Just a couple simple ideas to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Sometimes the simplest things are the most effective. Few kids who live in towns/cities have experienced real darkness before. If the night is fine get them outside, all torches off, and try to get everyone silent ... just for a bit! If there are stars, all the better. Organised star gazing is good, but just lying on your back experiencing them when everything around you is still is really fantastic. The beach is also magic after dark - you really experience the sounds and smalls that way.

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
Sometimes the simplest things are the most effective. Few kids who live in towns/cities have experienced real darkness before. If the night is fine get them outside, all torches off, and try to get everyone silent ... just for a bit! If there are stars, all the better. Organised star gazing is good, but just lying on your back experiencing them when everything around you is still is really fantastic. The beach is also magic after dark - you really experience the sounds and smalls that way.

As Scout leaders we always try to satellite spot when camping where it is dark. If you are lucky you might get to see some shooting stars.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE