Any hints/advice for Borneo?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm taking the family off to Borneo for a couple of weeks in early July. It won't be an out-and-out bushcrafty holiday (because of having the 'troops' in tow) but we will be trekking in the jungle fairly extensively.

Does anyone have any hints, tips, bits of kit that are essential, etc. that might help make it a trip of a lifetime (in the nicest possible way, of course!) ?

Many thanks in advance.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
There are two excellent recent threads with lots of pictures on a 'BCUK trip' to Borneo and there are several earlier Borneo/Malaysia threads posted by BOD that will give you some jungle bushcraft information. I believe BOD will be offline for a few days but there are others here that will drop by soon with advice.

Cheers,

Tom

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Hi Tiley,

A couple of things I learned whilst in the Jungle;

Stay hydrated, ensure you have either Iodine or Chlorine purification and two water bottles, so that one can be being purifying whilst the other is ready to drink. Where we were water was never far away but be safe before drinking it.

Never put your hands where you can't see. Although we didn't come across any real nasties they are there and again better safe that sorry.

Step to to and off logs, don't step over them as snakes enjoy kipping under logs and if you startle one it may take offence.

If you are going to be wading in water for most of the day, jungle boots are a must as they have drainage points and help prevent immersion foot.

On that subject take the time at the end of the day to dry and treeat your feet, a good athelete foot powder is great as it absorbs remaining moisture and kills fungal spores.

Take it slow and enjoy the world around you.

Avoid sitting directly on the leaf litter as it's home to scorpions etc, a bit of kup mat or a nice big leaf makes a good bum protector.

If your using a machete or parang be very careful, they occationally take on a life of their own - ensure you have a big decent dressing just in case.

Mossies can be a pain and the day time mossies can carry Degue Fever so along with a wide brimmed hat (or baseball cap) - which will help shed those dangling ratan vines that have little sharp hooks on them - take a head net. I beleive only had to use mine once but glad I had it.

A decent anti mossie spray is essential - DEET works best but take your sunglasses off before you spray your face.

If staying overnight, camp well above the rivers as they can rise by 2m very quickly.

Treat any cuts and scratches immediately as infection can start very quickly - iodine spray is good here and waterproof plasters - although they won't last long :)

The jungle is a wonderous place full of sites and sounds completely outside our temperate experiences and it's easy to hype it up as a dangerous place but it can be. If you take your time - especially if your not fully acclimatised - are aware of what you are doing it's a real pleasure.

Good luck with the trip and don't forget the camera ( a waterproof one if you can ) and post the pictures up on your return.

Best wishes

David

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Hi, David and Stuart,

Stuart - I'm not too sure if we'll actually be 'under the canopy' in our hammocks that much. It is a family trip, with the accent on 'family', so we have to cater for the twelve-year old denominator. We will be trekking for a high proportion of the two weeks but I'm not sure how well-trodden or extensive the paths will be. I know for certain that Mount Kinabalu is on the agenda - but that's a well-worn track and much frequented. I'm sorry to be so hopeless - the details of the trip have been given to us but I confess to having not read them with any great attention!:eek:

David - many thanks for your list of advice. I'll print it out and circulate it to the troops. I was wondering what is best to wear out there: T-shirt 'n' shorts? Long sleeves and trousers? Cotton? Polycotton? Do people get into a ferment if one wears green/olive/military-looking garments? I know it's going to be sweaty, I know that there will be bugs and I know it will rain - but that's about the sum of my knowledge! Your post has increased my knowledge significantly. Thank you.

If there's anything else - advice or hints or recommendations - that people can make to a 'jungle virgin' and his clan, I would be most appreciative.

Again, many, many thanks in advance for people's wisdom.

Richard

B

Barak

A good pair of boots coupled with a sturdy set of gaiters is essential. In my experience Sea to Summit make some really good pairs, in particular the 'Quagmire Canvas' type. Have a look here:

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/showproduct.php?Category=Gaiters

On top I prefer to wear a light long sleeved moisture wicking shirt - they're made by quite a few different companies and can be found in any backpacking type shop. Much more comfortable than cotton tshirts when its hot and sweaty. Keep a totally separate set of dry clothes for sleeping in at night.

Also take plenty of DEET based insect repellant and plenty of first aid / hygeine type stuff - antiseptics, anti-fungals etc.

B

Barak

Forgot to mention mosquito head nets and sleeping nets, which are definitely required.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
12 isn't too young.
My lad was 12 and loved every second!
He wants to go back again (as we all do ) - tomorrow if we could.
If you can experience an over nighter I'd highly recommend it

What Dave et al have said is completely true. But don't forget to enjoy yourself!
I think because we live in a basically safe environment (the UK) we can get a little freaked out by the risks in somewhere like the jungle. Basically though, if you take reasonable care and are sensible you're more than likely to stay safe and enjoy yourself as well.

Enjoy

Mark

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Many thanks to one and all. I don't want to go over-equipped but these hints should help me strike a balance.

I'm very definitely looking forward to it and will certainly try and do an overnighter, just for the different experience of the jungle at night rather than a temperate zone wood!

One further thing: does anyone know what jabs, if any, we'll need? The malaria tablets are already on the list but there seem to be mixed opinions about other injections and what's required/recommended.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Hi Tiley,

There are two scholls of thought on jabs, just have the essential or go the whole hog.

Your travel nurse at your local GP's will have the latest data on what is in the area your travelling in.

For my trip last year I had the following jabs - but remember I was inj Sarawak as well and so some of these may not be relevant.;

Tenteus, diptheria, typhoid, japanese encephalitis, rabies, Hep A, Hep B

Plus of course the Malaria tabs.

rgds

David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE