Any got a svord hunter drop point

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I do not own one, but the handle looks a bit agricultural?
It has a good price point still, considering it seems to be semi handmade.

Wonder why he named them Svörd? Häagen - Dazs marketing?
Edit: checked out the other offerings. Seems to be very well designed. The plastic handled ones I would love to have a look on!

Last edited:

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I know the folding peasant knives have gained a lot of respect over the years.i'm wondering why this fix blade isn't more popular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Tried one but found it too thick for the attempted convex grind which was a pain to sharpen.

There was an odd coating (varnish?) on the blade. The blade ends just after the pins so its not even a half tang

bought it at £25 which was about the right price for a far overseas blade although a decent wooden mora beat it hands down

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Cheers by the sound of it you just saved me so money.i did like the look of that convex drop point maybe I can find a better equivalent

Apr 25, 2017
Glasgow
Why would you use case hardening these days anyway, especially for a knife? The only reason for case hardening is because you've got crap steel and can carburise the outer layer to make it harden or you really, really need a soft core. Remember if you sharpen it too much or regrind at all then that hardened layer is gone and you're sharpening mild steel. If you get a full hardened blade then you can re-profile and sharpen until there is almost nothing left.
I would definitely give any case hardened knife a miss.

What they have done probably is taken mild steel and made a sealed container with high carbon items (I've seen it done with sugar and sweets :D) leather, charcoal basically anything carbon based. You heat it up and hope that carbon soaks into outer layer of the blade. It's a bit of a hit or miss process. Absolutely no need for doing this these days and you will end up with a seriously inferior product to an O1 knife.

Last edited:

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
I have had several Svords over the years, still have one.
I have also visited the forge and spoken to the owner, Mr Baker.
It's good steel, Swedish cargo S feel and L6 for some stuff.
The heat treatment is top notch and the steel is good, the design is a little dated and the finish, is, well, if you expand a bit of effort you can make them quite good.
The sheaths are crap.
Not bad but worth what you pay, if you get an L6 one you pay a lot more and they are good, and come with a very good convex edge. Still crisp sheaths though...

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Try Jeff white knives. Similar finished blade of 1095 with a good convex grind, better handles and budget friendly. The most choice will be on the Pathfinder website.

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
Do you remember what hardening process he uses?

I would think the quality is good, customers are happy. 30 years in business!

Good old big electric forge with an oil tub for cooling, similar to what you would use for O1, except he guards the exact science, it's all done behind curtains so that even his employees do not know the exact temp and time he uses, this means that each and every blade he makes has been hand tempered by himself, the actual grinding and sharpening, handles, sheaths etc usually done by his staff, nut the hard Ning is him and him alone. Oh and it's Sandvic steel I think, and of course L6.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I succumbed to this beauty in NZ. It's a wonderful weight. Carbon steel, greenstone jade handle with brass fittings.

I'd disagree about the quality of the sheath. It's amazingly
e4ded354f91a214b75bbbfaf474d3767.jpg
20744de373af2345ade5e298030fcd15.jpg
a99adcc7998921b0ce7379e4466a2d35.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1368.JPG
    IMG_1368.JPG
    1.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE