Any Good Soup/Stew Recipies ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
when my family is camping we often use a basic onion soup as a base for other things. Onion, stock cube and water and boil (play about with the amount you want of each. Since i's more base camping most of the stuff is brought with us so may have been cooked in part beforehand. Lentils often get added for me.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Something I'm enjoying at the moment is a noodle and rice soup with a tin of mixed beans thrown in. The noodles are a small cup thing with a sachet made by Maggi. I don't know if you can get these in UK but they are everywhere in Germany. The mixed beans are actually in a cardboard box carton thingy, but I have used baked beans and it's very nice. Add spices to your taste, it doesn't take long and it's very filling. I suppose also as there is not any meat content, it should be good for vegetarians. Have fun.

hootchi

Settler
Carrots, onions, potatoes and pork ribs in enough water to cover them. The ribs make a nice stock as they are boiling down and the meat falls off the bone.

It does take several hours so it would be good to put on the fire in the afternoon and forget about untill dinner time. Then tuck in and enjoy- its very nice.

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What kind of stew are you hoping for? Meat, vegetable, fish, totally wild grown & gathered, or are you prepared to take dried stuffs like stock powder, lentils, rice, noodles or the makings of doughballs with you? How about a potato, turnip or carrots?

Cheers,
Toddy

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'm a big fan of pearl barley in stews, takes about an hours cooking but really wonderful nutty flavour.
Another option is to make your stew at home and them reduce it down to a very thick consistancy. When you are out on the trail you can add water and boil it up. Stews always taste better when they are re heated anyway. Remember to leave enough room in the billy for dumplings :D

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I've found the secret in any stew is a very long cooking time, poitjiekos (little-pot food) is fantastic if you eat it everyday, this is just everything thrown into a pot, you eat your fill and leave the rest in the pot, tomorrow, you just add more stuff and cook it again: the longer this goes on, the nicer it is. I guess the same goes for the medeival world with their gruel.

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Pepperamis (those long thin salamis in the green foil pack) sliced 1-2 mm thick add a lot of meaty, paprika flavour to any soup or stew, and particularly comlement dried beans or lentils. One will do for two people in terms of texture and flavour. As they are tasty munchies cold as well and last for ages, being pasteurised, I think they make a good addition to any ration pack.

Just don't ask what's in them!

:eek:

Danzo

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
You could duplicate the story of the soldier making stone soup at the next meetup. As the story goes, a british soldier lost in the colonies came upon a town, picked up a rock and put it in his billy. He stopped at a home and begged some fresh water for stone soup. Intrigued, the lady asked about it. He replied it wouldn't be very good, as he was lacking potatos. She gave him a few. He walked on to the next farm, and managed to beg a few carrots after relating the kindness of the first . By the afternoon he had begged a rich stew including a chicken and a pint of ale and bread. :cool:

S

Skippy

he could have nipped down to tesco and got a tin of irish stew 'yummie' ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE