Any good Hikes and Wild Camping sites in Essex?????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey guys and girls

Anyone know of any good hikes in Essex or any places where you can wild camp and accepts open fires??? I've looked everywhere and have found nothing, Essex doesn't seem to be very bushcraft friendly.

Cheers

Rob

L

LordRose

Il be interested if you find anywhere as I live there too. One place you could consider if you get no luck is Epping forest. It doesn't accept fires obviously but if your sensible noone is going to know. We had a little one nighter up there and cooked up some soup with bagels - was a pleasant place.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
I've found that all the park-up places in Epping Forest seem to get visited at odd hours by teenagers on car and foot at all times of night even on school nights so I wouldn't recommend heading there by car or being near to any of the car parks let in to the forest even if they are empty when you arrive.

I had toyed with wearing a gorilla suit or white sheet and seeing if I could create a bit of a story in the local newspaper but that's not really the bushcraft way I suppose. Perhaps if I quietly left a whittled spoon in the door handle as a tribute to the folklore story of the hook. :)

Sorry, Can't be very helpful beyond that

P

Pcwizme

to be honest I know of no where in essex that you can do any real bushcraft in, but i only really frequent the southern parts, but i cant think of anywhere, I do most of mine on scout sites as im a leader and crew a on a couple, ummm, if i find out about anywhere ill post on here.

Mar 18, 2012
london
Weald country park seems to be used by would be 'Ray Mears' as i have seen plenty of (badly) built lean to style camps, parking is obviously a no no overnight unless you take the chance on parking by one of the roads,
Belhus woods country park is also a possibility, but the car parking is a bigger problem, there is also the advantage of hundreds of planted cob trees to plunder, and, naturally rabbits galore, keep the cobs a secret though as there are loads of squirrels who will fight you over them....mind you.... hazelnut stuffed squirrels on the fire works!!!
you may however find others there who seem to be planting crops of their own, the sort that's rolled and smoked!!!
good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE