Any experience with Cold Steel Kobun knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
cold-steel-kobun

I did try googling it but no instant joy.

And I'm alllll about the instant joy.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Thinking about a new toy and I like how it looks. Anyone have any experience with this knife?

Is this single sided blade geometry ?

AKA Chisel edge.

I don't see the appeal myself but I had to purchase a little WSK to understand once it was in the hand it was a baddddd idea. So I can understand the allure.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I found it no probs but for some reason I can't seem to be able to post a direct link

+1 Kudos point for finding it so easily.

( And I'll take that point away -1 , for failing to be able to post a direct link :) )

Reactions: Robbi

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you like the look of it, what does it matter what others think?

I think though that if you buy it, its something that will eventually (maybe quite soon) find its way to the Classified section. A toy that doesn't quite lived up to expected joy of ownership.

As a piece of art or design it isn't great, hard to get excited about AUS8, injection moulded rubber/plastic. For cutting ability, again, nothing to get excited about. Steep secondary bevel, short hollow grind. When I was in my early 20s and interested in martial arts I rather fancied one in the fantasy sort of way some folk do, imagining it would be cool to carry for self defence :rolleyes: . Fortunately, I already had an SRK and several AUS8 Voyagers, and when I got to handle a Kobun at a show I realised it wasn't something with any practical value to me, and not enough aesthetic value to be worth the price. (No, I never actually carried a knife for self defence in the UK, and was told by a friendly state trooper I shouldn't carry the 4" Voyager in the US either...boo.)

In the UK its design purpose isn't legal, unless you are a deploying soldier. So "experience" will amount to folk who fancied the look of a concealable stabby tactical/defence knife then tried it out for camping, the kitchen, or on a farm/building site opening sacks. That's like fancying the look of a Mazda MX5 and asking advice from people with no paved roads who use cars for moving furniture and livestock :D

Obligatory Cold Steel video for entertainment.

Reactions: BigMonster

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
< Blonde peroxide long hair. Black beard . Tight Leggings. Skin tight singlet >

Strong look Snake....

Alvariam

Jan 13, 2022
Kettering
I purchased a Kobun during the first lockdown. I quite fancied the look of the knife. Very pleased with the knife, as I have small hands it seemed to suit well. A very light tool and quite sharp out of the box, but not a razor. Tried it in the kitchen and slices pretty well. All in all a fair quality for a reasonable price.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I can't speak for the Kobun, but I have a folding Cold Steel tanto which I've used a lot at work. The blade shape was originally for stabbing things (people) but can be put to other uses. Would I buy another? No. Do I like the one I have? Absolutely.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
The ATS-34 versions are the ones I have experience with. Whether it is a good purchase depends on what you expect it to do.

As a display piece, it will work well. If you need to stab something, the strong point will work well. In actual use, I find it very limited outside of its intended role which is really impractical for a normal life. I would put in the same class as a true dagger, great for what it was designed for but pretty limited outside that role.

Being an AUS steel lets Cold Steel release it at a lower price point so, you can dabble with that blade shape now at a much price point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE