Any chance of a subgroup in the DIY and Traditional Skills section?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Just a thought but there are a lot of posts about spoon making and wondered if perhaps spoon making / carving could have it's own slot?

Don't get me wrong I can see the skill and time involved in making these but I find the subject a little over covered perhaps?

Just my thoughts and thanks for a great forum.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
i'll have a look and see what I think ;-)

Cheers Tony that would be great. I know a lot of the members on here are very keen and skilled at making spoons but and I know this is a bit of a controversial point from my perspective if you have seen one you've seen them all.

I'm pretty sure it is a useful skill to have and certainly a good way of practicing knife skills but I've never seen the point in carrying a spoon carving knife to make a spoon when you can as easily just carry a spoon?

Having recently joined the forum and gone through nearly all the pages in the DIY and Traditional Skills section it is amazing how many posts there are on this topic.

Sorry in no way do I want to come across as a troll here but I just find this particular area of bushcraft a bit dull.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Sorry in no way do I want to come across as a troll here but I just find this particular area of bushcraft a bit dull.

:)

Each to their own, for me apart from the aspect you mention of being a good way of learning and practicing knife skills it is also one of the aspects of bushcraft that easily transfers into everyday life. Flint and steel firelighting is another that I often practice when lighting the woodstove.

Dull? for me there is a lifetimes interest in it, varyations in styles across regions, countries and continents, learn a bit about what a man puts in his mouth and you learn a bit about the man.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE