Antz in the house

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Now I love the outdoors, the open fires, wildlife and all that roam the earth. But I can't stand having ants in my home. I noticed a few about over the last 48 hours but this morning a whole army was taking position for battle. They seem to have found the bin and have come in via a crack near the patio door, so out with the spray and hopefully victory is mine. Oops they heard me revenge they thought as one crawled on my leg whilst I was in the privy. Enoughs enough, out with the flame thrower -----

Has anyone got somewhere for me to live now.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used some gel at my dads house in Portugal which cleared them up really well. You put a couple of blobs on their route and they take it back to the nest and infect all the others.

Alternatively, can you fill in the crack by the door ?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Not suggesting anything underhand,
but a good clean up of any potential food sourses for them might aid in detering them from persisting in their quest.

HTH

Ogri the trog

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Funny how people react to ants, you'd think they are full size dinosaurs trampling over the house!! They've never bothered me, they do appear once in a while, I leave them alone, and in a while they disappear again. My wife and daughters on the other hand don't like them :eek: I quite like the little blighters!!!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
+1 for ant powder

Once had an 'invasion' :D where they were coming in a crack in the upstairs window, marching under the bad, out into the hall, down the stairs, across the dining room and into the living room. Hoover and some silicon sealant sorted them out :AR15firinUsually have a war with them most years and as Ogri says, keeping the kitchen floor clean does help! Evening was the worst for us.. they always come when it gets dark <looks fearfully side to side> :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alan

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Once they gain admittance they leave a scent trail for their mates to follow. Lightly sprinkle (or wipe down with a weak solution - use cold water) of bicarbonate of soda where they come in and on their trail, and put a finished, but not washed out jar of jam outside near their nest to divert them. Everbody's ends up happy then!

Jim

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
I have quite a funny story about ants

I was watching one of those nature programs that showed how you could attract a wood pecker by tapping on wood, I was sat with my boy on a large wooden sleeper and a wood pecker was tapping away near by I tapped on the log the wood pecker tapped back my son was slightly amused what made him fall about in laughter was what followed

I could feel an iching between my legs then my nether regions were on fire, the log I sat on was a red ants nest and the tapping had disturbed them my legs were covered in ants and my son was crying with laughter watching his old man jumping around with his trousers down slapping his meat & veg :eek: :eek: :lmao: :lmao:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
The stuff to get is called Nippon, its a poison which the ants take back to the nest and kills from with in very effective.

regards

D:swordfigh

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Once they gain admittance they leave a scent trail for their mates to follow. Lightly sprinkle (or wipe down with a weak solution - use cold water) of bicarbonate of soda where they come in and on their trail, and put a finished, but not washed out jar of jam outside near their nest to divert them. Everbody's ends up happy then!

Jim

This seems like a good solution to me. Very Carrot and smoke screen.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
Only ants? Think yourself lucky. I get slugs in my kitchen and back room at night! Can't find where they are getting in but their trails over the carpets is bloody annoying!

Gareth

Purdy Bear

Jun 5, 2009
SE London
Try using salt as a barrier method first. Most insects apparently hate the smell of any citric fruits. Then id used the tried and tested boiling water. Its cruel I know, but sometimes its a must.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE