Ants?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Found an ant nest under an old stone tub in the garden. Just wondering if these are the right kind of ants to eat the pupae? Obviously I couldn't really get any pictures of individual ants, they were all too busy for a photoshoot, but I hope you can guess from the nest?

Cimg1357.jpg

Cheers

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
By "the right kind of ants", I'm guessing you're asking if they are the same as you see people eating on the telly....well no, actually on tv they are eating wood ant larve and what you've got their are normal common black ants. However, as Gregorach says if you really want to you can eat just about any ant larve.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

xylaria

I agree with the other two. Insect grubs they are protein source if want them to be.

remember that wood ants bite and spit acid if you disturb the nest:BlueTeamE
Some species of wood ant in britian are very rare but the small black ants are common pests.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
When I was a kid we had a gold fish, and we bought ants eggs to feed it. One day we found lots of ant pupae in the garden and fed the gold fish that. The next day the goldfish was dead. I don't know if we killed it with the pupae.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Talk about a man who'll try anything at least once ! Can you link it's taste with any meat we would know ?

My only regret is that you did not provide any picture :rolleyes:

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
ahhh, if a person can eat a clam (a worm in a shell that filters waste out of water) then they should be able to eat an ant!

BOD

Scrap that, I found some. Overcooked them a bit, but they are quite tasty, very distinctive.

Well done Biddlesby! :You_Rock_

Fred has directed you to some other possibilities with ants.

There is also a fine book which by chance I am re-reading again called Ant Egg Soup. It is a great book about travels and bush meals in Laos. I recommend it

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I was sure I had read it here somewhere : here !
I feel fascinated but queasy and probably wouldn't eat any of that. In my normal
social sphere I'd never meet people who would eat that, so I do appreciate the
horizon-broadening capacity of this forum!!

We tend to go out for pasta round here :)

And by pasta I mean of the tomato sauce or pesto variety etc before any of you get
cute with pictures of ants featuring in Italian cuisine...

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Scrap that, I found some. Overcooked them a bit, but they are quite tasty, very distinctive.

Did you ever try any of the ants themselves? I was watching Wild Food again and saw Gordon Hillman enthusing about eating wood ants (as well as the larvae) - and saying about how his two grandsons now eat ants when they are out with him in the woods. We often get what are probably the black ants in our garden and it is something that I feel I should try once - just for the experience - though I do wonder with their small size whether they are really worthwhile compared to the larger red wood ants. It would make a good party piece if I had to go to a snobby acquaintance's barbecue if I started picking ants out of their garden and eating them.

I remember that Palms Delicatessen in the covered market in Oxford used to sell chocolate covered ants years ago.

I'm not sure I could go as far as eating worms, though, except in desperation - though my compost heap must have a lot of protein in it. I think I'd have to go for the dried and powered worms in a stew option.

Geoff

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I've bought a few Xmas presents from there this year. Choc covered ants, Rudolph pate, Crocodile curry and Scorpion toffee. Thought they'd be a little more interesting than socks.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Have had loads of stuff off them over the past few years, always a good source of Xmas pressies, much to the disgust of my friends and family - hehehe - great for an introduction to entomophagy. Talking of which a friend of mine has taken to eating bird-feed mealworms that they bought to feed to their rats, not that I'd recommend that since it says "Not For Human Consumption" on tub. However they insist that the mealworms are delicious.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE