Antler

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hello peoples.

I have recently been given a piece of antler and would like to make something from it. I've never worked with antler before so have no idea where to start...

Also, I don't know what to make. However, i'm sure you lot will have plenty of ideas...

Do I use a knife to carve the antler? It seems pretty tough stuff and looks as though it would damage a knife?

Any tips welcome,

Cheers,
Dan

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
A nice simple project could be making the handle for a firesteel. Depending on teh piece you've got of course.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I've made a handle for a knife, and a (very) small comb from a flat piece. Files, hacksaws and sandpaper worked ok for me.
Wayland had some very nice homemade tools for working bone and antler that he showed at the last Scottish meet.
YOu may want to pm him.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I mainly use antlers for knife scales, buttons, and whole antlers for "rattling (attracking deer) and for picking up hot stones for sweat baths (one antler in each hand).

When making buttons, I cut the antler longitudinally as the centers, when cross cut, are often too soft. This is more of a problem with elk than deer.

PG

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Cheers everyone. I like the sound of making a new handle for my firesteel. I think the piece I have will suitable to make one from it. I'll try and post a pic of it tonight after I take a photo.

Anyone got a pic of a firesteel with an antler handle so I can have something to work to?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE