antler fire steel southy inspired

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
hi guys, right of the bat i would like to say a big thank you to southey, as with out him, i would no have been able to acheive this, as he kindly sent me a peice of antler, and then from there, i followed his tutorial, and made my own.
hope you like it, it has spalted maple at the top, and spalted horse chesnut at the bottem, and leather spacers, and a black fibre liner spacer, and copper tube.

005 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

004 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

002 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

001 by lucky_lee, on Flickr
i still have a little to do on this, the wood needs more linseed oil, and the leather liners and the whole lot needs a good buff, i tryed to keep the shape of the antler, and worked around it, rather than make it a more uniform shape as i love the the character of it.
all comments are welcome.
take care.
lee.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...all comments are welcome.

That's a lovely piece. I have something by one of the well-known manufacturers (nasty plastic but it does the job very well) which has a built-in striker. The design you've come up with could lend itself well to having a built-in striker too. Just a thought.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
That's a lovely piece. I have something by one of the well-known manufacturers (nasty plastic but it does the job very well) which has a built-in striker. The design you've come up with could lend itself well to having a built-in striker too. Just a thought.

have you a pic of what you mean ged?

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Really lovely work there Lee, after seeing both yours and Southeys work I reckon I am going to give this one a go as well.

Nice one!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I'm trying to find the site that sells these, they do have scrapers on, I just figured the if I have this then I would have my knife too.though was thinking that a little flat pouch on the out side would work to keep a scraper in too.
i can see a little leather scraper pouch coming on lol.
i see what you mean jed, but i'm with southy, when i will be taking this im normally ouit bushcrafting, so will have my leatherman/knife with with me, so would proberbly use that, what i might do, is add a little leather case to to the lanyard, with the scraper, the best scraper i have used so far, are the ones i got from fgyt of the group buy, thaey are fantatic scrapers, and have yet to find a better one.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
lee that is stunning mate! seriously impressed. after seeing yours and daves it makes me want to add it to my ever growing list of "to do's"...if i stuff it up do you take commissions?? haha

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
lee that is stunning mate! seriously impressed. after seeing yours and daves it makes me want to add it to my ever growing list of "to do's"...if i stuff it up do you take commissions?? haha
i do mate, but as southy done me proud, if he would like to take it on, that would be fine by me.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Haha get on it Pabs! If you need any quick pointers shoot me a text matey! But it is suprisingly simple, woodlore do very good Ferrocerium blanks, seven pounds and free shipping.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE