Antiseptic pine sap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Hi all, heard on one of Dave Canterbury's videos that pine resin, fresh off a cut in the tree is a good antiseptic. Anyone used this or have any experience of pine sap used like this?
Cheers, Lewis

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've not used this myself but have heard of it. I know honey can be used in wounds because of a really low moisture content so I guess pine resin could be used as well.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
it is very very sticky. When I have rubbed it on my forehead to scare off midges [it works very well] or under my nose to clear a cold [it sort of works] I get muck sticking to me and it doesnt wash off. Not good for wounds.

Birch polypore is good on wounds, clean and doesnt put any detris in it. It contains chemicals very simerlar to TCP. Pine tar also has phenols but the stickyness would bring foreign stuff in.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Interesting point about the stickiness, I thought it's annoyingly adhesive properties would make a good barrier of keeping stuff out (despite that meaning it just sticks to the surface instead) Perhaps used under a plaster or something?? Or sphagnum moss? goodjob I'd guess some soapy water is your best bet for the type of cuts you'd be putting pine sap on... And if soapy water would be too little a response you wouldn't have time to p155 around with sap anyway...
Cheers again

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
you could use. alcohol. from your kit. wood ash. urine. pine tar.birch tar. balsam liquid resin. fresh garlic. a mixture of water and sugar. 50 to 60 % sugary liquid. honey. and the above. also a poultice of young yarrow leaves. extract the green small of juice and smear it on your cut etc.
hope that help
cheers.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I remember my old man packing me off to boarding school when I was about 11yrs old with a bag full of Pine Tar Soap...it was dark green (almost black) and would have stunk the gods out of olympus!! I walked around smelling like a hospital for weeks...I still reckon to this day, it was my Dad, god rest his soul, taking the mick with his strange sqaddy humour...!:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE