Answers on a post card...........3

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
OK. The last one might of been a bit easy for some of you.

This one is going to get you to think and it is going to get you to look at the woodlands in a different light. :shock:

I will be back when I have worked out how to word it. :oops:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Just curious, but how does one answer a woodland question about postcodes? Or was that to mail the answer stuck on top of a postcode?
Postcode on a postcard?? :-D

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
C_Claycomb said:
Just curious, but how does one answer a woodland question about postcodes? Or was that to mail the answer stuck on top of a postcode?
Postcode on a postcard?? :-D

Sorry Chris................what are you refering to?....... :roll:

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Right as Keith Beef has been very patient here it is!

There is one remarkable thing that makes woodland stand out from any other natural habitat and that is it’s height.............I can feel an article coming on here but that is for when we have got the answer’s this question.

You don’t see it anywhere in nature but you do see it in towns and cities, oddly enough as it is man made.

So if you walk into the woodland I work, you will see that the composition is profoundly complex. As we know, our ancient woodlands are most diverse habitat outside the tropical rain forests. For woodland to be at is most diverse it needs to have the whole structure of a natural woodland in place. The woodland I work ( as was pointed out the BCUK members who came down on the hurdle making course) has the whole lot in places and only to components in others.

Now, we call these components that make up a woodland ‘layers’. As I said earlier some only have two and some have the whole lot.

So the questions are;

1. How many ‘layers’ are there in woodland?
2. What are they called?
3. Why are some missing?
4. Why do some woodlands have the lot?
5. Can we re establish the missing layers?
6. Does it matter if there are missing?
7. And what lives in each layer, species etc!

Now that, I hope, should keep you busy! :naughty:

Best wishes.

Jack.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am going to go for 5 layers, a canopy of large, mature trees, oak, beech, birch, ash, poplar and so forth, an understory of smaller trees, could be the same species but includes things like holly, hazel, elder, and hawthorn. Under that you have bushes, stuff like snowberry, brambles. Then there are the lower, ground cover plants, grasses, ferns, dogs mercury (think that is right), and nettles. Lastly there is the leaf litter.

Going with those layers, there is a lot of blurring as one layer goes into the next. Brambles for instance can be anything from ankle high to over head height, hence offering different ammounts of cover.

Layers can be missing because they have been choked out by other layers, beech and yew supress pretty mugh everything down to the litter level. Some woods aren't old enough to have the upper layers and are populated by scrubby trees and plants that like more sun. Grazing animals can clear out everything lower than established trees, even the litter can take a pounding.

Some layers can be replaced, it can be easy, or hard depending on the place, the layer that is missing and why it isn't there. They all take time.

I would hazard that you don't really need all the layers together in the same place. It can be as good to have some layers in one area of a wood, and other layers somewhere else, different combinations?

I could go on, but think I have rambled long enough :roll:

Jack, we need a "rambling on" smiley :wink:

Chris

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
C_Claycomb said:
I am going to go for 5 layers, a canopy of large, mature trees, oak, beech, birch, ash, poplar and so forth, an understory of smaller trees, could be the same species but includes things like holly, hazel, elder, and hawthorn. Under that you have bushes, stuff like snowberry, brambles. Then there are the lower, ground cover plants, grasses, ferns, dogs mercury (think that is right), and nettles. Lastly there is the leaf litter.

Going with those layers, there is a lot of blurring as one layer goes into the next. Brambles for instance can be anything from ankle high to over head height, hence offering different ammounts of cover.

Layers can be missing because they have been choked out by other layers, beech and yew supress pretty mugh everything down to the litter level. Some woods aren't old enough to have the upper layers and are populated by scrubby trees and plants that like more sun. Grazing animals can clear out everything lower than established trees, even the litter can take a pounding.

Some layers can be replaced, it can be easy, or hard depending on the place, the layer that is missing and why it isn't there. They all take time.

I would hazard that you don't really need all the layers together in the same place. It can be as good to have some layers in one area of a wood, and other layers somewhere else, different combinations?

I could go on, but think I have rambled long enough :roll:

Jack, we need a "rambling on" smiley :wink:

Chris

Phew, I don't think I would have got all those, Chris.

But after reading you answer,I think there's a sixth layer, in the earth, made up of the nitrogen-fixing bacteria on the roots of some trees (alder, I think is one of them), mycænæ (spelling? I mean the thread-like growth of fungi).

Keith.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Dunno if stuff like moss, litchen and ivy grown on the trees counts as a layer. In the tropics the plants that grow upon the big trees have their own ecosystem, which wouldn't exist on the mature trees alone. Not convinced that it is the same here, the critters that live in ivy seem to be the same on the gound as in trees :-?

Come on someone...get answering :-D

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I've had a go at some quick answers

1. How many ‘layers’ are there in woodland?

I'd say four major ones

2. What are they called?

canopy layer, shrub/understorey layer, field layer, ground layer

3. Why are some missing?

Amount of light let through by large canopy can lead to some layers being missing or underdeveloped. Also dependant on plant species in the area.

4. Why do some woodlands have the lot?

Tree species forming canopy allow sufficient sunlight through to the woodland floor

5. Can we re establish the missing layers?

At a guess I'd say thinning the canopy layer by removing trees would allow more light to reach woodland floor and over time would allow the layers below to develop. Also, introducing species from the relevant layers below the canopy layer would speed up the process

6. Does it matter if there are missing?

Yes, as missing layers will affect the wildlife that dwells in the woodland

7. And what lives in each layer, species etc!

Canopy examples- Oak, Beech, Ash, Birch

Shrub examples- Holly, Hawthorne (used to spelling it with an e as its my surname!), Hazel

Field layer- Grasses, Ferns

Ground Layer- Mosses , Lichens, Mushrooms and other fungi

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Quote Jack:

'look at the woodlands in a different light.'

:idea: :lol: Just noticed that............ Jack, you sly fox :wink:

....or am I on completely the wrong track?

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
1. 4 layers
2. canopy, shrub, herb and humus
3. fire, under/over grazing, alleopathy, lack of light, deforestation, invasive species
4. beacuse they have a balanced eco-system?
5. yes
6. yes, has a bad effect on the woodland community
7. canopy - taller trees, birds, insects
shrub - smaller trees and bushes
herb - herbacious plants
humus - decomposers and other vital organisms

please tell me any of this is completely wrong, because otherwise ive probably failed many an assignment

cheers gb

NickC

Jan 24, 2004
Reading, Berkshire
Just so happens I have just been reading this as revision for an exam so I will give a short answer.

5 layers to a woodland. Canopy (broadleaf and evergreens - Oak,Beech), shrub (Hazel, Hawthorn & Blackthorn), field (Bamble, Bracken), ground (Moses, Bluebells,Primroses etc) and underground. Everydody seems to forget the underground layer but it has to be one of the most important because it where you find the roots, fungi (including Mycorrhiza).

Why are some missing? Why do some woodlands have the lot? This all depends on the type of woodland (i.e. beech, oak) and the way in which it is managed/miss-managed. Some woodlands dont need every layer but good management is possibly the main key to re estabishing missing layers (i.e. by pest control or by thinning).

I will shut up now before I get too boring

Cheers

Nick

jakunen

Native
I agree with the 5 layers as that was we used when I did a-level biology (shows how old I am!).
There is not always a need to 're-introduce' layers as good ol Ma Nature does this herself.
A might oak dies and eventually falls crashing to the earth creating a new glade. Dormant seeds think 'bloody hell! light! and start growing, other trees seed in to the clearing, competiton starts up and you start to get progression up thru the layers until once again one or two trees establish and eventually refill the hole on the canopy (why do I keep wanting to write 'can-o-peas'?).
One other reason why layers may be missing is coz of all us lot pitching our tents in nice places and crushing the new plants, picking them for our lunch, some kids not knowing enough to respect the countryside, etc., etc., etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE