another woodspirit :)

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
That looks brilliant Steve, going to have to give one of these a go after seeing yours and Soars work.
Cheers.
Theres one for sale at work by a chainsaw carver thats also inspired me but I think I'll drive the neighbours mad practicing those ones LOL

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
That looks brilliant Steve, going to have to give one of these a go after seeing yours and Soars work.
Cheers.
Theres one for sale at work by a chainsaw carver thats also inspired me but I think I'll drive the neighbours mad practicing those ones LOL

er yes, best to find a quiet spot i think! and thanks for yours and gsf's comments, much appreciated :)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
thanks chad not up to your standard, but it is supposed to be rustic! :D

Not up to my standard Steve? If I did one it would look like a blind man with no thumbs was let loose on a piece of wood in comparison...that's an awesome piece of work there!

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That looks amazing, I really like that. I had my first go at a wood spirit the other day.

What did you use to get such a prominent beard with so many hairs? I did mine with just a penknife and I found the hairs quite difficult to carve. :)

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Hiya

Like it!!! I think that is the best that I have seen

I love the detail especially the eyes

Mark

thanks mark its getting closer to where i want to be with them. maybe a little demonic i know, :) but in days of yore they (greenmen) were meant to scare people out of the woods. stories were told around the fire of them and their images are found carved all over europe and beyond. the modern day image of a jovial santa type figure doesnt really represent for me, what a woodspirit is about. :D

hhazeldean; just a variety of gouges and veiners to get suggested detail, that is blinkin hard work with just a penknife! hats off to you mister :)

steve

Last edited:

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Something else that I found to be quite effective is to burn some of the pattern into the wood. On mine I enhanced the beard and hair by carving it with a penknife and then heating a paperclip up on the gas stove to burn into the wood. It took ages but it looks great when it is done. I also went around the outside of the face to further enhance this.

I was also thinking of getting something new to help with the beard and also for loads of other carving projects and that is a flexcut 'Pocket Carvin' Jack'. I reckon that this looks pretty good, does anyone have one or could anyone recommend something else as an alternative.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
thanks mark its getting closer to where i want to be with them. maybe a little demonic i know, :) but in days of yore they (greenmen) were meant to scare people out of the woods. stories were told around the fire of them and their images are found carved all over europe and beyond. the modern day image of a jovial santa type figure doesnt really represent for me, what a woodspirit is about. :D

hhazeldean; just a variety of gouges and veiners to get suggested detail, that is blinkin hard work with just a penknife! hats off to you mister :)

steve

Keep them sinister Steve, that's why it looks so good!

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Something else that I found to be quite effective is to burn some of the pattern into the wood. On mine I enhanced the beard and hair by carving it with a penknife and then heating a paperclip up on the gas stove to burn into the wood. It took ages but it looks great when it is done. I also went around the outside of the face to further enhance this.

I was also thinking of getting something new to help with the beard and also for loads of other carving projects and that is a flexcut 'Pocket Carvin' Jack'. I reckon that this looks pretty good, does anyone have one or could anyone recommend something else as an alternative.

flexcut are a good american brand of carvers, i have the 11 piece travellers set, great for passing the time away in the woods! their carving jack is a handy pocket knife with a variety of tools but a little expensive imo :) but if it works for you...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE