Another winterhike.... but very different from the last one!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
It sure was in almostevery aspect!
First of all I wasn't alone. Mywife really wanted to come too, especially since she saw the pictures of mylast one. She is new to the outdoorthings I do, so I introduced her towinteroutings/camping.
Secondly I did not bring any of mynatural or traditional gear. No wool, no leather, no canvas.... apart from mytinderbox and a little something I received from Finland yesterday; a Finnishshoulder/gasmaskbag! Courtesy of bmatt!!
And thirdly, we got lost..... Ihave to admit it. We really were....
How it all went down?
Read on....

After taking the kids to school,we changed clothes, grabbed our gear, which we had packed last night and wenton our way. The first 5 kilometers we went by car. Taking into account that theMss. is fysically unaccustomed to the kind of walking we were going toundertake, we thought it wise to save on valuable energy and time.
We set out to check some sites Ihad in mind for future events and we did spot a nice one! The clearing in theforrest had accumulated more snow than we anticipated...

DSC06504.jpg

DSC06505.jpg

DSC06507.jpg

Another site we both wanted tocheck out, was the small island in the middle of the lake we frequently visit.That meant crossing the frozen lake on food. This was a new experience for metoo and within a few steps I noticed my senses going on high alert! It felt sonot natural and I felt very.... different... light in the head... aware...
We kept our distance.... at least10 meters apart...

DSC06508.jpg

DSC06510.jpg

DSC06511.jpg

DSC06512.jpg

DSC06513.jpg

After we crossed the lake andscouted the island, which was larger than we thought, my wife had to take some“private” time....

We noticed the light changed. Whenwe set out it was a flat grey sky, but now the sun tried to burn through the clouds,giving off a strange orangy glow, which reflected in the snow around us..
DSC06517.jpg

DSC06519.jpg

DSC06520.jpg

DSC06526.jpg

DSC06527.jpg

DSC06529.jpg

DSC06534.jpg

DSC06538.jpg

There was so much to see at thelakeside. There were so many animaltracks, yet the surrounding country wasempty and dead silent.... apart fro our footsteps, breaking through the crustysnow..

DSC06541.jpg

I did not even see a bird!

After crossing the island andother lakeside, we thought it would be nice to see what lay behind the hill wenow faced. What followed was a bit of a touch climb up a steep slope, coveredwith forrest and undergrowth.
On top we found a loggerstrail andfollowed that to the right. After a while we found some “pebbles”....
The largest one was also the mostinteresting one. It had a very colourfull covering of mosses, lichen and algea,topped of with some snow.

DSC06543.jpg

DSC06544.jpg

On the other side the bolder helda little surprise; a little snowfree overhang with rocks at the base. Theserocks held no soil between them, so there were some holes between them.
It would make a grest shelter, Ithought. Just a matter of making a wall of poles and boughs leaning at therock, a small fire in front and a layer of boughs at the base. The holes in thebottom would hold the cold air....
DSC06546.jpg

DSC06551.jpg

A few meters further up the trailwe found a fresh watersource and we still heard some water running underneaththe ice.

The water accumulated under alarger boulder first...
DSC06553.jpg

and than right through a largerock which had split down the middle...
DSC06554.jpg

with a straight edge, as it it wasmanmade!
DSC06556.jpg

A few steps further down the trailwe found a grouping of rocks, which would have made an easy and great shelterfor 2…
DSC06560.jpg

As I turned I spotted some freshmoosetracks
DSC06561.jpg

and some unusual and to me unknownfungi
DSC06563.jpg

We walked on following the tracksa little, when suddenly my wife called. She had found moosedroppings and thesewere so fresh, that there was no sight of snow or even frost on them! We gotcaught by tracking fever!!
DSC06566.jpg

While following the numeroustracks; appearantly the moose was browsing through the area, we came acrossanother frozen mountainstream. It was a magical place and sight and it caughtus with its spell....
We followed the stream downhill,figuring it would lead us back to the lake, which was our initial plan.Unfortunately we ended up in what in summertimes would be a swampy area, so wehad to stagger back uphill again. The terrain got quite tough... Large bouldersand rocky outcrops kept throwing us off course and there was another largemountainstream, that held us up...
DSC06568.jpg

DSC06569.jpg

DSC06575.jpg

DSC06576.jpg

DSC06579.jpg

Finally we reached the top of thehill again and and at the other side at the foot of the hill, we saw a largeflat white area. We had reached the lake again.... or so we thought! It was asmall lake, not the large one we crossed! Appearantly we had gotten off track,following the moosetracks and mountainstream. The difficult terrain had donethe rest.
Now I discovered I had forgottenjust one more item for this trip; the map!!
I new there was a smaller lake tothe southeast of the larger one, so if we followed the compass, which Ifortunately always have with me, to the northwest, we should find the lakeagain.
So on and on we struggled. Theterrain was quite difficult with many clearcuts to cross. These had eitheryoung trees and a thick layer of treestumps and branches, but all were coveredin a thick layer of snow.
But whatever we did, we did notfind the large lake again! I even noticed that the forrest can still play nastytricks on you, even with a compass in hand. We started crossing a patch ofyoung forrest, after I had checked the compass to see that we were indeedheading NW. After a short time, maybe 10 minutes, I checked again and I wasfacing south!! I could have sworn I was going straigh, but made a 180 degreeturn unnoticed!
And now I had no idea where I wasanymore.... I decided that we should follow the edge of the treeline on to aclearcut a few 100 meters ahead. There was a large open area and maybe we couldget our bearing again by identifying a landmark. We were really lost and I felta choking sence of discomfort creep upon me.... I shook it off. I head to keepmy head clear and focus on the plan. My wife was doing just great. Despite herlack of fysical fittness and her experience, she never once complained and keptup. Not being alone really kept our spirits up.
We found a landmark we recognised,but we were shocked to find that particular one so close by! Never mind! Wefound one.... This was the time to take a break, get some warm food and a hotdrink, refuel and warm ourselves, befor setting out in order to get home again.
The weather was still overcast,with the same pale grey sky we had started off with. So much for reliableweatherforecasts... They promissed us a more or less sunny day!
We chose a site to take a breakand I cut down a dead standing spruce as thick as an arm. After chopping thatinto sizeable pieces and cutting thin pieces, I made us a fire. No nonsence,just a small pile of wood, some fatwood and a match....

DSC06581.jpg

DSC06583.jpg

DSC06586.jpg

DSC06587.jpg

DSC06588.jpg

Warm food; pytt i panna (potatoes,unions and meat, all in small cubes and a piece of ham. A kettle with water forcoffee.

DSC06590.jpg

DSC06592.jpg

A gift by bmatt, which I receivedyesterday; a Finnish shoulder/gasmaskbag. A great little bag.
DSC06593.jpg

And a small extra gift I foundinside of it; a mini Finnish knife with a salmonhide sheath!!!
DSC06595.jpg

Warm food and a hot drink;inmeasurably important as a moralbooster!!
Not to mention to boost yourenergylevels as well
DSC06597.jpg

DSC06598.jpg

DSC06600.jpg

DSC06602.jpg

Well, wedid get home…..
We headedtoward the landmark we found and came onto a road. I knew that familair terrainwas due west, so we followed the road. After more than an hour of walking in anup tempo we came home, half an hour befor dark.
When wecame onto that road I had a very strong feeling that turning left wouldeventually lead us to the large lake, but I did not want to changes anymore.Not this late. So I opted for safe.
Coming home and checking the map, I saw that had weturned left we would have found the very far edge of the lake within 500meters. That would have meant of few more kilometers across the lake to get toour car and arriving home a little earlier. Now we had to borrow my father inlaws car in order to retrieve ours..... I guess we’ll be hearing this story forquite some time to come...

There were several reasons for me to go to "the other side", to go synthetic if you will...
I know I always talk about natural and/or traditional, but I feel that I should know the other side of the story too.
I have all this gear, but it does not get used. I wanted to give it a go so that, if I get guests, and I know I will, and they want to come out to, I can supply them with gear that I know will or will not work.

I must admit that I was quite pleasantly surprised with how it all held up.
The Swedish M59 coat is comfortable and warm, the German army mittens were warm, too warm sometimes.
The synthetic overpants were warm too and, allthough wet, kept me warm and dried quite fast. The moisture never got to my skin. I wore thin trekkingsocks and a pair of thicker insulative socks over that, both more than 50% synthetics.
My army thermal underwear isn't exactly natural either. Even the synthetic bags and other gear I used performed well in the cold. The only thong that I did not like so much was the Fjällraven backpack. It was quite tiring on the shoulders and back, but the fabric held up, too!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Good show..........................nice to see the missus getting out there too.:)

That's a cute little knife, looks like a good blade, it will definately come in handy..:cool:

Thanks for
sharing.

.XII.

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2010
Dartmoor
i've always wanted to go walking in Norway / Sweden / Finland, but never considered going in winter before reading this - great photos and write-up, sounds like you had a really good winterhike!.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Good grief ! what a story, what an adventure, well done for keeping your head and acting rationaly when you were lost, it could have got much worse if you had panicked.

well done to your wife as well, one hell of an introduction to a walk in the woods :)

( great photos as well )

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks gentlemen!

@Ichneumon; she loved it! And wants to go out there soon, too.
@Robbi; it was far less dramatic than it sounds. We had fun all day. It was a stark reminder of lessons learned in the past, though.... One is to watch where you're going! And the other one to bring a map if you're to explore new terrain or make the explorations smaller...

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
great post. just shows you can always get lost. i love getting lost in the woods but as i like in Scotland, i know im never in much real danger theres always a road or a house somewhere but i dont think i would have the same complacency in sweden, especially in the snow. it certainly helps being with somebody because not only do you have a companion but the sense of responsibility for them keeps you going in my opinion

and thats a fantastic little finnish knife, i was wondering what the sheath was looks great.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks gentlemen!
@ treadlightly; not a chance... Although these items performed well, there was something essential missing; a connection to them. They had no sould, no spirit, no emotion. They were just... things.
@ dreadhead; I guess you're right about the companionship. The sheath is salmonskin, btw.

Good reading Ron,

On the ice.... take ice picks on you... available in most hardware stores in Sweden or outdoorsy shops..... Hang around your neck to help yourself get a grip on the ice behind you if you happen to fall in (the ice behind you you walked on is strong enough... the ice in front of you is an unknown factor....

Grtz Johan

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hi Johan,
we did not know untill yesteday that it is mandatory in Sweden to carry gear like that with you, when on the ice.

Appearantly it is some sort of apparatus you can hang around your neck with 2 metal pins handing down from your shoulders. When you go through the ice you can use those to climd out of the ice again...

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
great story thanks.

with your photos,if you can set exposure compensation on your camera try it at + settings untill the snow looks white.
the camera takes a average reading which leaves the snow looking grey.

using the compass you should take a bearing then look ahead for a distinctive tree, boulder etc. in front of you walk to that,then do the same again.
if its poor visibility or no noticeable landmarks.
have your wife walk forward [you stand still] line her up on the bearing then walk to her and continue.
i had to do that in a whiteout with my brother on the edge of a cliff to get back once.

good reading, thank you for sharing!

your story brought back to my mind something that happened to me last summer: i was taking a walk through a dense forrest on a trail made by animals and i saw a patch of unknown (for me) flowers. i left the trail to check them out, i got on my knees to take pictures, i dug out a root to see if there's a tuber etc. then i stood up... and realized that i'm lost! i had absolutely no ideea where the trail was... the sensation lasted only a fraction of a second, i think, because i regained very quickly the control over my "navigating system", but it was very vivid and got me really thinking about what should i do if i ever got lost. it was an eye-opening experience for me, since i never got lost and, as a consequence, i unvoluntarily disregarded that possibility... not any more! now i'm fully aware of the fact that getting lost is really easy, even for an experienced outdoorsman.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE