Another Pine Consumption Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
I've been experimenting with making my own beard oils and massage oils and an idea came to me -

Can scots pine essential oil be used, say, in a tea? When brewing the needles, am I right in thinking it's the essential oil that seeps / steeps out?

Please understand that even as I type this, I'm thinking of course not! But there's plenty I've learned about nature so I'd like to settle this in my head.

thanks

Brady

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
http://www.practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth/pineneedletea.html
Pine tea is well known, and particularly good with a drop of Irish whiskey ;)

Thanks for the link mate, it's been put to good use and I've learned a bit more. I meant the essential oil you get in bottles for aromatherapy and all that - I knew you can brew up the needles and I'm on the lookout for scots pines round my way. I wondered if the bottled essential oil could be added to water for a tea?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thanks for the link mate, it's been put to good use and I've learned a bit more. I meant the essential oil you get in bottles for aromatherapy and all that - I knew you can brew up the needles and I'm on the lookout for scots pines round my way. I wondered if the bottled essential oil could be added to water for a tea?

It's probably not a good idea to ingest essential oils, yes the oil is present in needles, but it's a question of concentration. They probably won't do you any good in the kind of dose that would come from the oil extract. I'm not sure as to the alkaloids preasent in Scots pine, or any derivatives that will be in the oil. But they're rarely good for you.
Plus the oil is exactly that, an oil. They aren't water soluble so would have to add a non ionic surfacant to make it dissolve, I can't think of one that isn't toxic. I may be wrong but IMO stick to needles. You can even order them online I understand

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
It's probably not a good idea to ingest essential oils, yes the oil is present in needles, but it's a question of concentration. They probably won't do you any good in the kind of dose that would come from the oil extract. I'm not sure as to the alkaloids preasent in Scots pine, or any derivatives that will be in the oil. But they're rarely good for you.
Plus the oil is exactly that, an oil. They aren't water soluble so would have to add a non ionic surfacant to make it dissolve, I can't think of one that isn't toxic. I may be rong be wrong but IMO stick to needles. You can even order them online I understand

That's great mate thanks very much, I thought it might be too strong but it sounds like it's an all round bad idea, I'll keep seeking the needles then. I hadn't thought of shopping for them either, they probably sell bags of it!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Pine oil has an NFPA 704 health indication of 2 meaning "Intense or continued but not chronic exposure could cause temporary incapacitation or possible residual injury e.g. diethyl ether" and in suspension you have no way of knowing concentration of the dangerous parts. Its also a CNS depressant.
Holistic medicine products are inherently dangerous for that reason. And even the most mundane seeming products can be very dangerous in quantity. Perfect example, you have some nutmeg on your rice pudding it's quite delicious, you eat a few whole nutmegs and you'll hallucinate for literally days and probably won't survive! I buy innocuous herbs online to make teas etc, but I avoid anything that contains anything particularly active or bioavailable.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Many oils are actually used in foods…..just not so much here in the UK. Oregano, ginger, mint :) aniseed, orange, bergamot (earl grey tea ) mandarin, rose, are just a few that are edible.

The biggest issues (apart from concentration) is adulteration. Most essential oils available to the general public are not guaranteed to have been produced in a food grade environment or with food grade standards in mind.
Many that are supposedly 'pure essential oil' are simply fakes. I belong to a natural perfumery group and you would not believe some of the concoctions that producers try to pass off as pure and safe.

Be careful is the best advice I can offer. Buy from a reputable supplier with as short a supply chain as you can find. One that will give you details on the production much as a good wine maker or tea merchant will.

On that note (no pun intended :) ) pine essential oil has issues because it's rich in pinene. That's the disinfectant stuff used in cleaners. It's really not good for us. It's a distillate, it's not something that's simply obtained by boiling the needles.
Every reputable supplier should be able to provide you with a Safety Data Sheet for every oil they sell.
Like this
http://www.essentialoilsdirect.co.uk/pine_needle-pinus_sylvestris-essential_oil.html

That's the basic stuff too, not the lab testing, etc., that gives the break down of ingredients, and their relative proportions, in each oil…..
http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/essentialoilqualitypurity06.asp

For the kind of teas we make, this is really not necessary. If you want the pine taste then boil up the needles or chew some of the resin :)

M

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Slightly different tack using a solid instead of an oil but if you like the flavour try crushing a couple of juniper berries into hot water to make a tea. (also you don't get oil leaks when carrying it. :D )
Also pretty traditional to crush/bruise a couple of fresh juniper berries into a glass of whisky when having a dram.
Another good thing about the berries is that you can use the same ones a couple of times in tea/whisky. Light to carry too.
Aye I'd stay away from ingesting most essential oils.
Hav fun and hope you enjoy it. (One of my favourite teas to forage 'round here is wild mint and juniper. Really refreshing and cleans the mouth out too.)

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Slightly different tack using a solid instead of an oil but if you like the flavour try crushing a couple of juniper berries into hot water to make a tea. (also you don't get oil leaks when carrying it. :D )
Also pretty traditional to crush/bruise a couple of fresh juniper berries into a glass of whisky when having a dram.
Another good thing about the berries is that you can use the same ones a couple of times in tea/whisky. Light to carry too.
Aye I'd stay away from ingesting most essential oils.
Hav fun and hope you enjoy it. (One of my favourite teas to forage 'round here is wild mint and juniper. Really refreshing and cleans the mouth out too.)

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

I used juniper to flavour mead I made 2 years ago. Odd slightly sweet gin taste. Use sparingly though they're pretty overpowering!

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Pine oil has an NFPA 704 health indication of 2 meaning "Intense or continued but not chronic exposure could cause temporary incapacitation or possible residual injury e.g. diethyl ether" and in suspension you have no way of knowing concentration of the dangerous parts. Its also a CNS depressant.
Holistic medicine products are inherently dangerous for that reason. And even the most mundane seeming products can be very dangerous in quantity. Perfect example, you have some nutmeg on your rice pudding it's quite delicious, you eat a few whole nutmegs and you'll hallucinate for literally days and probably won't survive! I buy innocuous herbs online to make teas etc, but I avoid anything that contains anything particularly active or bioavailable.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Kool thanks, I knew about nutmeg so seeing it from that view, cor I'm glad I asked! I get issues with my CNS from a lifting injury (someone walked into me mid-squat!) so this in particular is the anti-me.
ps - I loved your No kit experience man, it has me thinking about it myself.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Toddy, that's really kind providing the links, I've bookmarked them for some serious reading tonight. I love this forum for the amount of knowledge I soak up every visit, it's much appreciated.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Cheers Goatboy, once again I just needed someone to give my head a nudge! I've carried juniper berries since I started my woodland activities, never once thought to use them for a tea. I take it it's just flavour - no vitamin C as per the needles. Good enough for me, I get plenty C already so the taste is all I'm really after.

Thanks everyone for your time, have a good one.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Goatboy, once again I just needed someone to give my head a nudge! I've carried juniper berries since I started my woodland activities, never once thought to use them for a tea. I take it it's just flavour - no vitamin C as per the needles. Good enough for me, I get plenty C already so the taste is all I'm really after.

Thanks everyone for your time, have a good one.

Well there's a little in there: -

"Juniperus communis commonly known as juniper berries are found widely throughout the Northern Hemisphere. The juniper berry plant is a small evergreen shrub that can reach up to 10 feet in height. The berries are the medicinal part of the plant, although they are not a true berries but dark blue-black scales from the cones of the shrub. In mature trees, the berries arrive in the fall and will ripen to blue by spring. A plant can have unripe and fully ripened berries, as it takes several years for the berries to become fully ripened.
Constituents
Juniper berries are mainly used for their volatile oils, also known as essential oils, which gives the berries a bitter taste and turpentine-like smell, according to vitamin-supplements.org. The oils also contain tannins, sugar, flavonoid glycosides, resin, tar and terpenes. Other nutrients of the juniper berry include copper, chromium, calcium, iron, limonene, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium and vitamin C. Due to the presence of these compounds, the berries stimulate the kidneys and are used as a diuretic, according to healthy.net.
Uses
In traditional herbal medicine, the berries have been used to treat digestive issues, cancer, gout, water retention due to its diuretic effects, along with urinary tract and kidney diseases such as urethritis and cystitis. For various digestive disorders, juniper berry is used for indigestion, bloating, belching, heartburn, flatulence, diabetes or menstrual problems. According to vitamin-supplements.org, juniper increases the production of stomach acid by warming the digestive system, which helps stimulate the appetite, relieve gas and settles the stomach. Juniper berry infusions have been used in the past as antibiotics to treat various skin conditions including psoriasis and eczema. Various inflammatory conditions including rheumatism, gout and arthritis have benefited from juniper’s anti-inflammatory properties, as the diuretic effect helps to reduce fluid retention from around the joints. Externally, a compress is used for skin growths, warts, athlete’s foot, dandruff and acne.
Dosage
To prepare an infusion, according to healthy.net, 1 teaspoon of lightly crushed berries is added to a cup of boiling water, steeped for 20 minutes and drained. You can drink the infusion two times daily. Juniper oil can also be added to a hot vapor bath to aid respiratory infections. For dried juniper berries, 1,000 to 2,000 milligrams are usually taken in two to three divided does with recommendations to limit use to no longer than six weeks, according to vitamin-supplements.org.
Precautions
Due to juniper berries' effect on the kidneys, it should be avoided by those with kidney disease. Juniper should not be used on open wounds, as the topical oil may lead to swelling and irritation at the application site. Juniper may decrease fertility and cause uterine spasms and should be avoided by women who are pregnant or are attempting to become pregnant. If used in excessive amounts, side effects of juniper overdose include blood in the urine, kidney pain, diarrhea, intestinal pain, purplish urine, a quickened heartbeat and elevated blood pressure, according to vitamin-supplements.org. Juniper may also interfere with the absorption certain minerals, including iron when taken orally."

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Kool thanks, I knew about nutmeg so seeing it from that view, cor I'm glad I asked! I get issues with my CNS from a lifting injury (someone walked into me mid-squat!) so this in particular is the anti-me.
ps - I loved your No kit experience man, it has me thinking about it myself.
No problem always happy to help where I can :) and honestly go to it you'll learn quite a bit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE