another overnighter (pic heavy)

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
hi all,
heres the pics to the overnighter that i took my son daniel on with my mate chris (ladypacker manson see other thread for details!)
we had fantastic weather all weekend down at the site and apart from the now expected deer barking in the middle of the night a good nights sleep was had by all.
we now think our campsite is the munjac equivalent of 'blueberry hill' with all the male deer doing their best tom jones impression to woo the ladies.
i also met the guy who lives further down the track and owns the land next to the wood, i didnt realise until i walked off but he is dave from the 80's cockney band chas n dave!
we also saw the paintball guys on saturday night as they were packing up and one of them was genuinely bemused why we would spend the night in such an eerie wood (his words).
apparently he spent one night up there right next to where the munjac dens are, and spent the entire evening cr*pping himself holding a big maglite lol
anyways heres the pics.
my son daniel under his basha, i made it from an old ipk i had lying about.
100_2165.jpg

100_2170.jpg

100_2167.jpg

chris under his basha, he decided to leave the ladypacker at home this time lol
100_2169.jpg

my setup for the weekend
100_2172.jpg

our cooking arrangements, we saved the hazel posts from last time and added and old bbq grill from the paintball safezone.
100_2177.jpg

breakfast bannock
100_2179.jpg

chris decided do go and chop up a fallen birch, he forgot to take the cover off his gb forest axe lol
100_2180.jpg

chris is losing at top trump so decides to get a tactical advantage
100_2181.jpg

daniel pulling the skin off the rabbit
100_2182.jpg

rabbit cooking on a hazel spit
100_2183.jpg

daniel making his own pot hanger out of hazel and fastened with tree root.
100_2184.jpg

all of us with our bergens on ready for home
100_2186.jpg

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Great pics. Good to see your son getting well into it :)

Lol Chas and Dave!! Amazing! :)
Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Nice! Great bringing your little man on the trip. Tell Chris the tiger stripes give "cred" to his chiseld "ladypacker manson" look!

Thanks for letting us share in the pictures.

Gordy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yup the lads face does say it all :D

In regards to the axe sheath you are not the first and you wont be the last :eek:
I have lost count of how many sheathes i have lost or damaged however it does improve your leather working skills :rolleyes:

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
cheers for the positive comments, daniel was looking forward to it for ages.
the only problem we had was finding something that he will eat.
when i took him shopping i asked him what he would like to take and he replied "chicken pie" . i told him i wasnt going out and buying a dutch oven just so he can cook some of aunt bessies offerings over a fire. the search has been narrowed to beef n tomato pot noodle :( but i'm working on getting him to eat those breakfast brunch in a tin lol
he now wants to do this again so i will start to upgrade his kit the more he gets into it, so i'm going to get him a vango alpha 200 tent for christmas so he can camp in the back garden with his younger brother.

chris still hasnt repaired the axe cover as he is trying to find some decent leather to cover it lol i think it can be repaired with heavy duty cotton thread and a decent covering of araldite over the top to seal it in.

and finally yes the tiger stripes do look cool, i have a set myself for when we do our US special forces vietnam look for airsoft. the reason i wasnt in them was i didnt want the pair of us looking like tweedledum and tweedledummer :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE