Another Norway Trip - Not one toe was lost in the making of this thread.... Very Pic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Brilliant, I've been thinking of y'all and dying to see the words 'Pic heavy' appearing! Great to see your beaming faces, well done Twodogs n Muddy Boots for cheating K9 out of the shot he was waiting for off the bridge of Doom ;) Reaaaaallllly looking forward to hearing all those extra 'only for retelling around the campfire' bits!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What were the night time temps like chaps, -10c or less?

Looks like you all thought your kit through well to fit it in packs of @100l mark and a weight you were comfortable with. Cliff, you've done these trips before, you should put up a thread about what you took to help newbies out who are thinking of a similar trip, and at £230 plus food its a doable notion for many who perhaps can't afford the 'Expedition' trips.

I openly admit to being green with envy...if I had a cat I'd probably kick it (I wouldn't but you know what I mean) and with that I'll hike to the kitchen and check on the Ox tail thats cooking with mushrooms, onions, red wine, garlic, bay, tyne and green peppers...I've made a load (some for the freezer), its simmering in the pan off my 22 quart pressure cooker so I'll need to load up a Pulk to drag it to the table.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs

Looks like you all thought your kit through well to fit it in packs of @100l mark and a weight you were comfortable with. Cliff, you've done these trips before, you should put up a thread about what you took to help newbies out who are thinking of a similar trip, and at £230 plus food its a doable notion for many who perhaps can't afford the 'Expedition' trips.

I openly admit to being green with envy...if I had a cat I'd probably kick it (I wouldn't but you know what I mean) and with that I'll hike to the kitchen and check on the Ox tail thats cooking with mushrooms, onions, red wine, garlic, bay, tyne and green peppers...I've made a load (some for the freezer), its simmering in the pan off my 22 quart pressure cooker so I'll need to load up a Pulk to drag it to the table.

A massive PLUS 1 to all that!!!
Great pics guys!!!
As a noob I would have no idea where to start planning let alone actually doing it!! It would be great if a thread could be made by some of the more experienced guys!!!
Well done
Mmmmm oxtail stew!!!
Cheers
Steve

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

Rik,

At least 4 nights were well below -10C mainly due to the fact that we decided to camp close to the Sea or the Lakes for the views, this lowered the temps dramatically.

Looks like you all thought your kit through well to fit it in packs of @100l mark and a weight you were comfortable with.

IIRC the total average pack weight with food was around 23 kg each. The rest days and short distances between pitches allowed the weight to be carried comfortably. The availability of fresh water at each location negated the requirement to carry much more than a litre to keep hydrated.

HTH

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Here we go then Rik :),

The night time temps once we left the beach were below minus ten as we were at the highest part of the Nordmarka , to wake up and look out of your basha at a frozen lake with clear skys and a full moon is ,, magical .

My kit ,

Vector Commando bergen ,
Dutch Army DPM hooped bivi ,
Belgium Army spec Carinthia Sleeping bag ,
Ridgerest Solight Deluxe roll mat , bulky but warm and punture proof,
Hilleberg UL10 tarp
2mm guylines , alpkit clippers and fig of nines ,
Alpkit ti pegs ,
Buffalo special six shirt ,
20 litre drybag with spare clothes ,
Sock pr x 4
Mankini x4
T-shirt x1
Trousers lightweight x1
Washkit ,
FOOT POWER ,,,This is a must have twice a day ,
Wooden spoon better for cold wheather use
Folding woodburner ,
Magic biscuits , cosmetic wipes soaked in candle wax light every time and no problem with customs ,
Eagle products fry pay with spices and cooking utensils ,
Mkettle ,, not used taken as a bit of fun really ,
ipod ,,and phone ,,, keep them warm at all times or dont take them as thay will be dead ..
Local map in case
Mora knife
Optimal folding saw
German army pocket knife and scout fire steel ,
Water bladder ,
Mug allways easy to lay you hands on ,
Book on 3 Para in the Falklands kept in a dry bag ,,
Crocs just to give your feet a rest every day .
wool hat and nanok tent boots for sleeping
First aid kit with survial blanket added ,
Ribz first trip with these worked well for me , map , knife , water , compas , snacks all close to hand ,
oblieb folding bowl for washing ,

Daily clothing ,
Arktis waterproof smock ,
Norwegian army hat,
DPM windproof trousers ,
Berghaus boots
Woolpower base layer top ,

Army thermal over trousers would of been usefull ,, next time .

Yes there is alot of moneys worth of kit there but most has been brought second hand as and when a British Army sleeping bag and bivi bag for peanuts would of done the same job , dont worry about having the best kit just do it with what works for you ,,

It wasnt the trip for mincing about with a 40 litre patrol pack my kit with rats for six days was 20 kilo this droped as the days went on but we ate well and the trip was better for it ,

This is what its about not the kit , dont get bogged down ,

128.jpg

210.jpg

081.jpg

Twodogs

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Watch your backs at Huk. It's a known gay cruising spot, as is some of the lower parts of Nordmarka.
Call me next time, and I'll pick you up at the airport and take you somwhere nice instead:p
(hope I'm not insulting anyone, if so; it is not intended).

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Skaukraft Thanks for that information lucky for us it was cold then ,,,:hatscarf: ,,,,,,,,,,,,, :)..

Thank you for the offer of local info that would be very usefull Nordmarkas ideal as its so close to Oslo :)

Twodogs

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
No problem. I will be happy to assist, and with a little planning I might come along aslo.

Nordmarka is great in many ways, and Oslo is very lucky to have this area so close to the city. But it is a bit worn down and crowdy for my taste.
I lived in Oslo for 4 years, but used mostly the woods east og the city (Ostmarka). Crowdy and worn down ther e also, but it was 5 minutes from my flat...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE