Another Norway Trip - Not one toe was lost in the making of this thread.... Very Pic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
The area around Hauktjern and Kroktjern is OK, and Hauktjern got nice trout. And in the southern end of Nokklevann, you can rent canoes. In Nokklevann theres also nice trout, perth, pike and Burbot.

Maps and areal photos of Norway you can find here: http://www.statkart.no/
The english version of the site is crappy, to say the least. But if you click on the tag "Kart paa nett", there you will find two links. One called: "Norgeskart", which is maps, and one link called "Norge I Bilder" which is areal photos/satelite photos.

Another approach to the Nordmarka is to go in from Romeriksaasen. That is about 15 minutes by car from the airport (northwest).
If you take the train 10 minutes north from the airport, and get of at Eidsvoll Verk station, you are not far from the areas around Hurdalsjoen, which is a nice area.
That is where I live at the moment. And theres room for a few tents in my backyard..., I like Islay singelmalts.......

Last edited:

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
My kit list for this trip

Crusader bergen with immersion liner
Alpkit windproof shirt
Cheap waterproof bergen cover for use at airport.
Mozzie Head Net - unused.
Wash kit and FAK
Brew kit and Dehydrated rations.
MSR Pocket Rocket
Billy can
long handled spoon and spork
Cup
Fire biscuits
Petzl Head Torch
Beanie
Gloves
Eviction outfit for return flight.
Merino wool long johns and T shirt
Helly Hanson Base layer.
Fleece.
Helly Hanson Down jacket
Rab waterproof jacket.
Mora
Crocs
Foot powder
Alcohol hand wash and various wet wipes, bog roll etc.
Swedish army folding bucket.
Compass
4 litre Ortleib water bladder.
Cuddly toy
Thermarest Ridge Rest Neo
Nanuck -10 bag
Small shaving mirror
Blankety Blank cheque book and pen.
Response pack for admin at airport.

I think thats it.

Oh and Vango Banshee 300 doh!

Last edited:

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
I would add to this a buffalo shirt next time and a warmer ridgerest to be honest maybe and a Bivi bag.

Also a shemagh head scarf would have been good.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The timing was interesting - I know you all like winter camping, so did you just strike lucky with the weather (cold but not too cold, snow but not impassable etc), or was it all down to careful planning and studious examination of previous years weather patterns?!

Oh - and I notice you used lake water - how did you treat it?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
The timing was interesting - I know you all like winter camping, so did you just strike lucky with the weather (cold but not too cold, snow but not impassable etc), or was it all down to careful planning and studious examination of previous years weather patterns?!

Oh - and I notice you used lake water - how did you treat it?

Andy, the timing was really interesting, but planned.

Although warm kit/sleeping systems were taken; we were not kitted out for any temps constantly below -10 C so we really struck lucky with the weather both throughout the trip and leading up to it. Unseasonably warm was one Norwegians thoughts on the matter.

Although main routes and ski areas would of been cleared, the areas we passed would of been impassable and we would of had to change our plans. As the trip was flexible, with fall back areas recce'd this wouldn't of been too much of a problem.

The lake water was not treated just drank neat to rehydrate and boiled for brews/food. No problems were encountered.

HTH

Last edited:

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
This winter has been warm. And the spring came 3-4 weeks early.
I do not think I saw temperatures below -15 C this winter, and there was little (but wet) snow.
Last years winter was very harsh. As mentioned earlier, I live 15 minutes from OSL Airport, and we had long periods with temperatures below -25 C. I work at a research institute 10 minutes outside Oslo, and on X-mass day 2010 they recorded -34 C, and that is cold in the lowlands around Oslo.
Even downtown Oslo experienced temperatures below -20 C in january 2011.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE