Another 'Newbie Spoon maker'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rocket

Mar 30, 2006
Isle of Wight
Finished my first Spoon today. Quite plain, but pleased with my achievement.
Made from Hazel, which I found a little 'stringy' but quite easy to work with, however, I let the Hazel season for a couple of weeks before I started working with it, so it was quite dry.

Ready for the finer work...
Rocketstu-Pict0002.jpg

Finished.
Rocketstu-Pict0005.jpg

Oh, and as to the usual questions people ask on these occasions...
No plasters were needed!

Stu

Rocket

Mar 30, 2006
Isle of Wight
Mantic said:
Verrry smoooth. Not that it's important but how long did it take you?

From start to finish, about 6 hours. I did a lot of sanding! (Not in one go though, I prefered to take my time).

Hardest part was the bowl of the spoon, as I have no crook knife.

I have now given the spoon a couple of wiped on coatings of Olive oil....I'm not sure if this was the correct thing to do, but I thought I'd better seal it with something!

Thanks for the kind comments all,

Stu

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi nice spoon i am about 3/4 through my first spoon i have also had trouble with carving the spoon head as i have no spoon knife my spoon is realy small and the head is tiny and realy hard to carve

Rocket

Mar 30, 2006
Isle of Wight
leon-b said:
hi nice spoon i am about 3/4 through my first spoon i have also had trouble with carving the spoon head as i have no spoon knife my spoon is realy small and the head is tiny and realy hard to carve

Thought about trying a smaller spoon as my next test. good luck in finishing yours!

Stu

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think i made the wrong desition on carving a small spoon for my first oh well it doesnt matter its still looking good

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE