Another new Mora on the market

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Scratch that, they have them at springfields, and prosharp, along with a nice little legend saying "Now available to the general public. All previouse stock sold to the military.

SOLD OUT pre order to catch the next delivery"

I wonder which military?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Dave Canterbury had a vid on them the other day. He seemed to like them.

Looks a fairly decent knife.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
there getting above themselves those mora people there making so many different ones now we will be spoilt for choice regards dave

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
There goes the no new knives resolution, just ordered one from Moonraker Knives, should arrive in a few days, I will post some pics when it does.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Ooooo, I like that, I have a barely used stainless version that I love everything about apart from the stainless, so I might have move it on and get the carbon version!

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
Ooooo, I like that, I have a barely used stainless version that I love everything about apart from the stainless, so I might have move it on and get the carbon version!

A neophyte question if I may, what's wrong with the stainless steel in the Mora?

I have a Clipper and a Companion in Carbon steel that I use as backup gralloching knives. They work very well but rust like crazy once they have had blood on them.

Is the stainless steel noticeably inferior to the carbon?

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
A neophyte question if I may, what's wrong with the stainless steel in the Mora?

I have a Clipper and a Companion in Carbon steel that I use as backup gralloching knives. They work very well but rust like crazy once they have had blood on them.

Is the stainless steel noticeably inferior to the carbon?

Some folk like Tommy sauce, some prefer daddy's.... It's all down to taste and usage.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
Some folk like Tommy sauce, some prefer daddy's.... It's all down to taste and usage.

I prefer Tommy myself Chiseller but was curious as to why a carbon blade would be better than a stainless one for outdoors use, assuming blades o decent quality.

In other words I understand that tastes can differ but was curious about the usage difference that you allude to.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Depending on heat treat, carbon steel can be tougher (bends rather than breaks) than stainless, and take a finer edge, stainless can hold edge slightly longer as it has a higher abrasion resistance, and is more resistant to corrosion, sacrificing sharpness due to large carbides formed during heat treat, and can be more brittle at the the same hardness as a simple carbon steel. This means that during use the edge wears unevenly and forms micro serrations around these carbides, giving a toothy, less than razors edge to the knife. However, Sandvik 12c27 is a very finely grained steel, so with a good heat treat has a good compromise of attributes of both carbon and stainless steels.

Mora stainless blades are usually polished, which can heat up the surface enough to temper a few microns of steel and make the edge softer and more prone to micro chipping, which may be why people mention about the stainless not holding its edge, usually a sharpening session will sort this out.

These aren't definitive reasons, just information I have picked up over the years.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
Thank you gents, it seems that the carbon steel used by Mora better than the grade of stainless they use.

I have resorted to "patinating" the blades on my Companion and similar Hultfors carbon hunting knives by wrapping them in kitchen paper soaked in lemon juice and boiling the rust to a sort of amateur blacking process. This keeps the main body of the knife rust free, with a bit of food safe oil rubbed in, but the sharpened edge still rusts.

I would in fact not mind so much if the situation was reversed as it's the edge that does the cutting...

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Depending on heat treat, carbon steel can be tougher (bends rather than breaks) than stainless, and take a finer edge, stainless can hold edge slightly longer as it has a higher abrasion resistance, and is more resistant to corrosion, sacrificing sharpness due to large carbides formed during heat treat, and can be more brittle at the the same hardness as a simple carbon steel. This means that during use the edge wears unevenly and forms micro serrations around these carbides, giving a toothy, less than razors edge to the knife. However, Sandvik 12c27 is a very finely grained steel, so with a good heat treat has a good compromise of attributes of both carbon and stainless steels.

Mora stainless blades are usually polished, which can heat up the surface enough to temper a few microns of steel and make the edge softer and more prone to micro chipping, which may be why people mention about the stainless not holding its edge, usually a sharpening session will sort this out.

These aren't definitive reasons, just information I have picked up over the years.

I have a stainless one that I have had a while now, not noticed any problems with it's sharpness, but i do keep my knifes keen, with a strop and paste, I even take a small lenth of belt with some auto sol with me in my rucksack..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE