Another new knife!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yep, another cheap one at that!

At £5.95 this heavy duty knife is pretty damn good! equal in quality to the Mora range but at a lower cost. I bought this with plans for a rehandle job around 5 weeks ago so it's techincally not new as such, but it was left unused until today. I've had a go on some wood and some paper to see how it cuts and the unusal grind/s perform as I expected - not brilliant for carving finer details but good as an all round light weight toughy.

The handle is great and I kind of feel hesistant to start cutting it off and sticking a new one on. It gives a good grip, thick enough for hard use and the length is good for wearing gloves or having big hands. I wonder if I can do a good enough job to make up for removing the original? :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's the Hultafors heavy duty knife. It comes with a very good sheath and a nice thick blade of decent steel so it'll make either a good project or a nice back up knife for the collection.

Here's some pic's I took earlier... ;)

DSCF4292_zps1908f406.jpg

DSCF4293_zps2099e9c2.jpg

And one trying to show that odd grind/edge. It's basically a heavy scandi but with a very obtuse secondary V ground bevel.. I think a few minutes on the diamond stones will have this working a little better for me. I'll probably go for a convexed scandi, to keep it tough enough for fighting the dreaded hole dwelling beasts known as badgers..

DSCF4298_zpse703007b.jpg

And a picture of the blade next to a Mora to show just how chubby it is .

1191285358-hulti_gk03_zpsa8f6876e.jpg

And one of the tang - this is a picture sourced from google and I haven't done this yet!

fkpbw7_zps807729ea.jpg

So, I hope you like the pictures and a big heads up for these knives, total bargains even at twice the price!

feel free to post your modded heavy duties or any dieas on what sort of handle to go for, I've got plenty of good plumb a bit of brass sheet left. :)

Last edited:

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Great review mate,i have one of these but find the handle abit too chunky for me.;)
Great value for money though........

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have a few of the Hultafors knives, mainly for work and they are a whole lot of blade for the money. Easily on par with a Mora. Whatever you choose to do with the handle mate, it's a £5 knife... You're on a winner :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Great review mate,i have one of these but find the handle abit too chunky for me.;)
Great value for money though........

Cheers dude, this is more of a mini review/look at, but I can do a full review of this and the mora I showed yesterday if anyone is interested.

I have a few of the Hultafors knives, mainly for work and they are a whole lot of blade for the money. Easily on par with a Mora. Whatever you choose to do with the handle mate, it's a £5 knife... You're on a winner :)

they sue are bargains, and these heavy duty ones are real sturdy. My neighbour was shocked at how cheap they are, and I am too tbh!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Here's one I did very quickly a week or so ago, not the best job by any means, but feels great in the hand: I also had a problem with the handle being a bit bulky - feeling. I did this in about 2 hrs. in my sub-zero workshop using a piece of ash from a salvaged snooker cue..............One thing though...mine didn't have a hole in the tang, had to spot-anneal it then drill, but it's pretty solid as it is.............atb macIMAG0188.jpgIMAG0189.jpg

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Here's one I did very quickly a week or so ago, not the best job by any means, but feels great in the hand: I also had a problem with the handle being a bit bulky - feeling. I did this in about 2 hrs. in my sub-zero workshop using a piece of ash from a salvaged snooker cue..............One thing though...mine didn't have a hole in the tang, had to spot-anneal it then drill, but it's pretty solid as it is.............atb macView attachment 16795View attachment 16796

nice one! did you make scales or did you drill room for the tang?

please share any more details of the making or tips! ;)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I made scales for this one, then glued and clamped 'em without liners using pound-shop two part epoxy............it really was cold that day, and I set myself the task of completing the whole job in one go with whatever I had lying around. That's the beauty of a five quidder - you can try out all sorts of stuff you wouldn't dare on a good 'un................I got one really good idea from this, potentially; On a good snooker cue the light/dark bit at the fat end is jointed wood, so the next project is to use some of this and see what kind of interesting patterns I get from the stave-glued wood, usually ash and mahogany..............I'll keep you posted on progress, thought I'd do one of their smaller blades as a carver.....................atb, mac

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Forgot to say, the reason I made scales was that I only have one of those drill stands for my 'leccy drill, and it's impossible with that to be anywhere near as precise as you need to be to drill with a long drill bit..........
ruined a few handles trying.................a decent pillar drill is no.1 on my wish list, as I think it's aneater way to do these stick tangs......................atb mac

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Sounds good! I'll remember to look out for snooker cues in fututre!

I have some plumb that I am cutting into a tubular/cylindricale shape incase I plan on doing the handle job soon. Got some 1mm brass sheet for the bolster and bottom too so I'll see it how it goes and keep all updated!

thedawnawakens

Settler
Dec 2, 2012
UK
Here's one I did very quickly a week or so ago, not the best job by any means, but feels great in the hand: I also had a problem with the handle being a bit bulky - feeling. I did this in about 2 hrs. in my sub-zero workshop using a piece of ash from a salvaged snooker cue..............One thing though...mine didn't have a hole in the tang, had to spot-anneal it then drill, but it's pretty solid as it is.............atb macView attachment 16795View attachment 16796

Great tip on the cue...cheers

thedawnawakens

Settler
Dec 2, 2012
UK
Yeah for the money these are great blades, solid and the only issue I have like already said is the handle. Now to find some wood.........

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
just sorted out the images! I organised my photobucket the otherday and although I kept the images, apparently moving them screws them up!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Well now, here's an old but good Maartini stainless blade I've had for years, the rubber handle bit the dust so I thought I'd try my idea with the snooker cue: Unfortunately, 'though the idea is a corker, without a good steady pillar drill I'm never gonna get this right - I just can't be anywhere near as precise as I need to be with the drill to get a good centered slot for the tang.............you can see the way this has gone all over the place on the shaky drill stand, and badly off center thus throwing any pattern wonky. But I'll use it for something and I now know the idea with the cue will work when I approach it with a bit of care!..................You can see the potential, eh?...............................atb, macIMAG0192.jpgIMAG0193.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just to add to this post...........got lucky today and found 4 good-quality cues for a fiver in the charry, so there's gonna be loads of new attempys soon..................atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE