Another hammock thread - how do you hang yours?

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Before anyone suggests a search, I have looked, honest.

I'm now the proud owner of a Magikelly hammock and need some bits and bobs to hang it.

John has suggested a preference for climbing tape, and one of the group buy threads had a link to cheaper webbing from pointnorth.

I didn't fancy the cheaper tape and the proper climbing tape is quite pricey so I'm currently pondering a 'tree-hugger' plus 'something-else' option.

Is anyone using 'tree-huggers' (diy or otherwise) with a length of accessory/static cord strung between them and the hammock - if so, how much (length) and what thickness/strength?

Similarly, what (and how much) do I need to make a ridgeline for the mosi net and a tarp (although I haven't actually got round to buying one of these yet)?

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
The netting comes with a ridge line and you can adjust the length of this to suit yourself. Different people will have different lengths that they prefer.

At the risk of causing a riot I did buy a 100m drum of climbing tape from the same supplier that I got the dry bags from. Problem is that even at wholesale prices it is not really much cheaper than retail., especially when you add on PayPal and postage. Also it is not the supertape that i really prefer but it is still good and better than webbing.. I am NOT running a group buy on it but do have about 30m spare that I can let go. I recommend 10 m for a hammock. 5m each side. By the time postage and paypal were factored in the cost would be about £11 for the 10m which while cheaper than retail is not really a big enough saving for a group buy to be worth the effort, however like I say, I have about 30m spare ;)

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
MagiKelly said:
The netting comes with a ridge line and you can adjust the length of this to suit yourself. Different people will have different lengths that they prefer.

Guess who hasn't taken the mosi netting out of the bag yet :eek:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Beamdune,
The method for tying a hammock is this one http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/speerknot.htm

The fabric shop that I went to for tape only had 2" black - so thats what I use. Since then I found out that my work was throwing away 2" white nylon webbing from big bags of soap in lengths of about 4 meters - so this is what I use for the kids hammocks: If you want two lengths, just shout ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
That'd be great, pm sent.

Actually bought 2 hammocks, one for me and one for whichever 'lucky' friend I can coerce into coming out with me.

Think I may have just persuaded myself to splash out on supertape for mine, as it's stonger than 8mm accessory cord, although still interested to know if anyone is using any of the thinner diameters (normal cord, not the spectra/dyneema stuff)

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
I used my hammock for the first time at the weekend, takes a bit of getting used to when you first get in it, esp. after a 'glass or two of wine' :) Not helped if the person your with decides it might be funny to help you swing by giving you a shove!

I used some genuine para cord 450lb break strain to attach, 2 x 20ft pieces, one for each side, doubled up.

If you like I'll send you out a couple of lengths, pm your address, I got 25 pieces that were removed from a parachute and I seriously doubt I really need them all :)

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
MagiKelly said:
I am NOT running a group buy on it but do have about 30m spare that I can let go. I recommend 10 m for a hammock. 5m each side. By the time postage and paypal were factored in the cost would be about £11 for the 10m which while cheaper than retail is not really a big enough saving for a group buy to be worth the effort, however like I say, I have about 30m spare ;)

John, Im interested in 10m's. PM sent.

Thanks P@ul

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
if you're worried about damaging a trees bark, straps like the hennessy treehuggers can be made out of car seat belt (you should be able to get this cheaply from a scrappie).

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Short by one tree? all you have to do is slip the Land Rover Defender 110 out of your pack and use it on the other end
0LHu1mVbBg.jpg

lou

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE