Another first kuska

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Finally I bit the bullet and carved my first kuska.

fu25tx.jpg

2qjgnwk.jpg

To be honest I am not 100% pleased with how it has turned out but I did enjoy doing it a lot (very theraputic).

Made from sycamore and carved with a clipper and a Frosts 162.

I still havent a clue as how I am going to finish it. Some say boil in salt water others dont. Also not sure which is the best oil to seal it either.
Thanks for looking

Craig

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Very nicely done! I wouldn't bother with the salt process, just coat it with cold pressed Linseed oil.
What dont you like about it?

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
thanks for the kind words folks,

Wayland : after I have done a few more ill put one aside with your name on it

SOAR: I dont like the fact that the bottom isnt quite as symetrical as I hoped for and also the rim dips (nearest side in pic) more than I planned for.

Anyways you live and learn from your mistakes.

Thanks

Craig

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I dont think that matters too much, you can tell its handmade by its shape and not mass produced on a lathe, you could always do a spot of Kolrosing on the handle before you seal it to personalize it.

I think you have done a good job with it.

All the best.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I think it looks great,and if thats your first one your starting from a strong position, when I finish the odd thing for myself I always notice the mistakes, but now i think of them as a way remembering where i was when i carved it.

Last edited:

dozzer

Forager
Jun 24, 2010
dundee
Very nice! i dont see anything wrong!
i would like to have a go at this, maybe next time you could put some pics from the starting block and a few showing the progress??

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That is very nice. I've always been meaning to make my own kuksa, closest I ever got so far though, is errr... buying one.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Dont be so hard on yourself that is good work agin just oil it when its dry though if you intend to use it dont even oil it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE