Another DD hammocks group buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Hi all,
Ok it's that time of the year again when I will yet another group buy for DD hammocks.
I'm starting it on the 18 of March. But it can only run for 3 week's maximum, hence this heads up.
As for prices I can't say just yet, but if you look at my profile at last years DD group buy there is not to much difference.
But I can say that the new maroon red hammock is in the group buy. The red hammock is aimed at the ladys out there who want a less..well, green looking hammock. And there might be some other new items as well, that's if they get here on time so I'm saying nothing about them just in case.

Ok the rules.

1. Its open to all
2. I will pm folk of payment details it will be bank transfers, PayPal or cheque
3. There needs to be a minimum of 15 orders..but we have always smashed that in the first few days.
4. I will stop it at around 40ish people, if we get that many.
5. No abuse please if you don't like the price then don't join. And it will only get you barred from any more group buys I do.
6. If I can think of anything else I'll let you know ;)

N

Nomad

Consider me interested in a hammock and tarp.

A couple of questions...

Which, if any, of the Frontline and Travel, is more suited to use in Scotland?

Are the mosi nets truly midge-proof?

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Nomad, both are. as they are made by a Scottish company but if you think you will use the hammock for ground dwelling then the travel is better as that is what it is designed for, but I personnlly prefer the frontline hammock.
And yes it will stop the Scottish midgy.

Whats wrong with you all, please re-read the bit about my profile. I can say no more.....sorry

Smokin

Sep 6, 2011
England
I emailed DD a few weeks ago, asking about the differences between the Travel and Frontline hammocks. Everything is identical about from the base layer, which is breathable on the Frontline but not the Travel. I've never had a hammock before, but from what I've read, a breathable hammock is better because you don't get (as much?) condensation, but a waterproof base means you can use the Travel as a bivi.

Anyway, I'll be in on this, definitely.

N

Nomad

Thanks Sandbag & Smokin. I don't know if condensation with the waterproof one likely to be an issue, but I doubt very much that I'd use it on the ground - never been a fan of lightweight PU fabrics as ground sheets.

Some further questions if I may...

Is the 3x3 tarp okay in bad weather (rain tending towards sideways)? Assuming the 3x4.5 gives better protection, is it unweildy to use? Its pitching options appeal to me for ground dwelling use as well - seems to have plenty of ways to make a semi-enclosed shelter.

The standard hammocks come with 10m of webbing - is that attached, or something that ties onto loops at the ends?

Is cordage included to support the mosi net?

Will accessories like the whoopie suspension system and hammock sleeve be included as group buy items?

v8mule

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
wigan
Hi pal i'm looking to get the DD 4m x 4m tarp next couple of weeks what sort of price could you do ?
thanks buddy

Ian

N

Nomad

As mentioned in Sandbag's post, there is a thread from last year which will give an idea of pricing. This one, I believe...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87288&highlight=group

As he says, this year's prices might be different, but not by a lot. So far as I can see, it looks like around 20% discount, with a possible further small reduction on postage costs if a buyer orders more than one largish item.

N

Nomad

My probable order (to be revised when tarp choice is determined)...

1 x Frontline hammock in olive
1 x Complete Whoopie Suspension System in green
1 x Hammock Sleeve in olive
1 x tarp, in olive, but not sure of size yet
1 x Pegs + Guy Lines (x6)
1 x DD Sleeper silk blend sleeping bag liner
1 x Elastic Cord x 10m

Last edited by a moderator:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
My order atm:

2 x Hammock Sleeves (unless a camping hammock and XL will fit into 1 sleeve?)
1 x Frontline (possibly....not decided yet)
1 x DD Cord
1 x Nato Green Line-Loks [x 8]

Last edited:
N

Nomad

I might be missing something, but I think the idea is that the sleeve stays with its hammock. You hang it while it's still in its sleeve, then slide the sleeve to one end to open out the hammock. When striking camp, you slide the sleeve back down over the hammock. Keeps it easy to pack, and also keeps the rain off the hammock until you have a tarp over it.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I might be missing something, but I think the idea is that the sleeve stays with its hammock. You hang it while it's still in its sleeve, then slide the sleeve to one end to open out the hammock. When striking camp, you slide the sleeve back down over the hammock. Keeps it easy to pack, and also keeps the rain off the hammock until you have a tarp over it.

You're not missing anything Nomad but i'll be using it in 1 of 2 ways:

1. With my camping hammock (1 sleeve per hammock)
2. Dependant on weather, using the second sleeve with my tarp to keep a wet tarp altogether and wrapped up in itself to stop my kit getting wet.

N

Nomad

No, I am missing something - the XL is a tarp. :)

Doesn't the tarp go into a stuff sack to the wet away from other kit, though?

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Blimey, so many comments! Ok guy's I can't give you the prices as that would mean the group buy has started and as it is so short I don't want to do that.

Nomad the 3 x 4.5 is plenty big enough for most types of hammocking even in Scotland.

Elen I'm sure your a lovely lady.

Ok folks don't put your orders on this thread, Wait till the group buy which will in the group buy forum. Thanks

But thanks for the interest everyone

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE