another crayfishing trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
so, had arranged with a friend to meet up at the secret location on the new river/hertford just for those that don't like me using the words "secret location"
anyhow, terry had thought about calling me to cancel, as it was raining cats and dogs, but too late, I had been up with the larks and was already on route
we arrived around 10am, and after a quick coffee and chat, took the bicycle wheels in my newly made carrier (thanks to the wife)upto the river and set up, getting the nets in by 10.30
IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

a friend gave us around 15 old advertising banners, which we used as covers for shed roofs etc, and now crayfish net bags :D
anyway, I made a joke that we needed to catch at least 120 in the first hour, using all eight of my wheel nets, terry commented that his grandson's record was 135 in an hour back at the end of september
well exactly an hour later, we had caught 141 :good: and also beating my record of 7 in one net, by doing an 8 :D
after this we lost count as we walked up and down, lifting the nets one after the other, finishing on the second hour
IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0125.jpg

once we had loading the 4x4 up and said our goodbyes, it was back home for a final count up and sort out, my missus has a couple of pictures on her phone not downloaded yet, of one of the biggest crays we have seen yet, posing with me and terry
we sorted them out, and re counted, the second hour we therefore caught 110 :good: giving us a total of 251 crayfish in 2 hours :D
sorted into piles, Ive started freezing around 120, another 120 are being kept alive, just chilled, for using later in the week, and the other few big un's, are going on the boil later tonight, as on arriving home, our neighbour had taken in a parcel for me, my big boiling pot from the usa, its not as big as I hoped, only 22 quarts, but it's a vast improvement on what we had on offer over here, am just awaiting a propagne burner to arrive, and then I'll be trying it the american way, of a proper crawfish boil, but probably instead of using CAJUN powder in the boil, will try reggae reggae sauce :yes:
IMAG0127.jpg

Ill be on the look out for even bigger of this
and heres a few of the big ones
IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

thanks again to terry, another great day out, hopefully more to follow next year,

Last edited:

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
Great catch, is there some serious rules for trapping crayfish?
I know the native ones are protected.

simply find an area that has crayfish, go onto the EA website and print off there pdf file form CR1
go onto an online ordenance survey map, pinpoint the area you want, it'll give you a tl reference number, you need a start and finish point, ie 2 x tl numbers
fill your CR1 form in, using your tl reference numbers,
put down you want to catch crays with a drop net (follow my other post on how to make drop nets from bike wheels)
put down you want to use 10 drop nets, this is the max you can have, you'll get sent 10 tags, attatch 1 to each net you make/use
put down you want to fish from 01/01/12 to 31/12/12 you may get more than a years license
put down for your own consumption
it dont cost anything

getting the tags does not give you permission, you still need permission by law, from the waters owner, not all places will give you permission, and heres the grey area, most baliffs, are employed by the EA and turn a blind eye as long as you have tags, to ask you to stop, they would by law, have to ask you to return the red signals, as its against the law to put them back, it all becomes one big headache

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
if you kent guys come over to essex, by all accounts lakeside lake is full of them, as is the predator lake at arena essex, but as of yet I cant find who owns/managers them to ask for permission

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Ratcatcher said:
... my big boiling pot from the usa, its not as big as I hoped, only 22 quarts, but it's a vast improvement on what we had on offer over here,

No need to import them; large pots, around 30 - 40 ltrs, in alu or ss, are readily available in UK.

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
but do the come with the internal perforated sleeve/lift out, to put the crays in???
I found lots of big ali pots, but no internal sleeves

tuxdad

Feb 26, 2008
USA
WELL DONE Bud !! Looks like you'll be enjoying a royal meal at some point this week !! Thanks for sharing your adventure !!

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Ah, I didn't go looking for strainer sleeves/ liners.

My error.:eek:

Just drop a mesh office type paper bin inside

I like catchin my crawdawgs by hand using a rabbit leg on string. Its good in shallow watta....for a laugh an half dozen catches.

I like your bikewheel nets though.
I used to use a grease bucket with holes an barbeque mesh. Had some decent catches an not as upsetting if thas had to leave em aht ova neet, only to find some swine has pinched her fancy plaggy traps :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE